17 Things I Wish I'd Known At 17

17 Things I Wish I'd Known At 17

Buckle up kids, adulthood is hard.

100
17 Things I Wish I'd Known At 17
Alexi Sanderlin

I am only 19 years old, so 17 really wasn't that long ago. But as I am nearing the age of 20, I have taken time to reflect on my life and my past. The year of 17 was the year when all of my not-so-good decisions came to a head and it was also the year I graduated high school, so that's the year that stuck out to me. My sister is also newly 15 and I secretly hope she reads this article so by the time she reaches 17, she's better off than I was. I know a lot more now, nearly two and a half years later, than I knew then. So if I had the opportunity, this is what I would tell my 17-year-old self.

1. Your cell phone is not your lifeline.

There are more important things in life than your cell phone. I promise you, Twitter and Snapchat will still be there when you get back. Go enjoy time with your friends and family because soon enough time is gonna go by fast.

2. Putting in real effort in school does not make you a nerd.

Establishing a good work ethic in high school is so important if you plan on going to college. Putting in the work to get good grades is not nerdy. It shows that you are concerned about your future and you don't want to waste the time you've spent in school.

3. Life will not go exactly the way you've planned.

All of those plans you have laid out about how exactly you want your life to go, trash them all. Life is going to throw you a million curve balls within the next six months let alone the ten years that you seemingly have mapped out. Just do your best to stay afloat and roll with it.

4. Save money.

Life gets very expensive very quickly. Save your money while you can. Soon you'll be paying for textbooks that cost at least $150 per book, you'll be buying everything your parents used to pay for, and you will realize that EVERYTHING costs money. Save it now so you aren't spending nights crying on the floor because you're hungry and all you have is cup noodles.

5. Stop chasing all of the boys.

Having a boyfriend does not define you as a woman. Half of the boys you're chasing aren't even aware you're chasing them! You will find someone that will chase you and make you feel wanted. Just be patient.

6. Nothing is the end of the world.

Listen, life is going to throw a lot of curve balls in your direction and all of them are going to hit you in the face. Nothing is the end of the world yet. It's just hard but I promise, it gets so much better.

7. Embrace chaos.

Your life is a little unorganized and it's gonna be that way for a long time. Embrace the chaos and learn how to roll with it.

8. Stop trying to control everything.

One day you are going to drive yourself to the brink of insanity because you want to maintain control. You can't control every little detail in your life. Stop trying. Part of the fun in life is figuring everything out as you go.

9. Your friends will change.

You will not have the same friends forever. As you continue to grow and change, the ones that matter will be the ones that stay. The others will show themselves out.

10. Your family is so important.

You are going to need your family in the coming months more than ever. You have 17+ people willing to move mountains for you. Cherish them.

11. Become more involved in your government.

Get educated! Things are about to get crazy in your world. Get educated, stay involved, and do everything you can to make any changes you can.

12. Don't be such a demon to your parents.

Your parents worked hard to raise you. Stop screaming at them every time you don't get your way. You will never not need them and they will bring up how awful you are when you ask them for help.

13. Ignore peer pressure.

This one is super generic, but still. There are going to be a lot of times in your life, even into adulthood when your peers are going to try and pressure you into doing stupid things that you are really going to regret later. Stay strong in your values and opinions and stay true to yourself.

14. Learn to forgive.

You're going to go through a lot of stuff in your life. Holding grudges is only going to hurt you in the long run. Learn to forgive the ones that have hurt you. Not for them, but for you.

15. Learn to take care of yourself.

Self-love is so important. You will never be able to fully love someone else until you love yourself. Take some me time and take care of your mind and body.

16. You are worth so much more than you think.

You let so many things define you that have nothing to do with you. Your worth is not held in what others think of you or how many guys like your Instagram selfie. You are in control of your own self-worth. Take time to love yourself and realize how great you are.

17. You are exactly who you are supposed to be.

Being 17 is tough. You feel like you are doing everything wrong and you aren't who you were meant to be. But trust me, you are exactly who you are supposed to be in that moment. Who you are and the choices you make influence your future. Stop trying to change who you are to fit everyone else. You're 100% okay.