Will These Guys Be The Arms and Legs of the Trump Administration?
Politics

A brief look at some of Trump's possible cabinet members

20
nymag.com

Donald Trump has officially won the presidency. There is so much hysteria and disillusion following the election that people are forgetting the ride-along people that will be advancing to the White House along with the Donald. Former model Melania Trump will replace Michelle Obama as First Lady, and Thing One and Thing Two (Trump's sons Eric and Don, Jr.) will play their own parts in the presidential family. But, as far as the people who will help Trump run the country, we will be seeing a sharp turn from the Obama Administration.

Reports have already begun to surface regarding who Trump is considering for the top positions in the White House. Over a dozen names have been dropped, but only a handful seem to be the top picks, so far. Here's a look at a few of the people who are rumored to be in the works for certain cabinet positions.

Attorney General- Rudy Giuliani

The former mayor of New York City and 2008 Republican presidential candidate has been in the talks to be replacing Loretta Lynch as Attorney General. During his eight years as mayor, violent crime in the city dropped by 56%. He is credited with essentially "cleaning up" New York City. As a national politician, he has spent the election acting as a surrogate for Trump, and gave a very loud, energetic speech at this year's Republican National Convention. On the Thursday after the election, in the midst of talk of his possible appointment to the Attorney General position, Giuliani went on CNN's "New Day" and said that, "probably nobody knows the Justice Department better than me."

So, we might have to get used to the phrase, "Attorney General Giuliani."

Secretary of State- Newt Gingrich

Just like Rudy Guiliani, the former Speaker of the House and presidential candidate has also been working as a surrogate for Trump during the campaign, ever since endorsing him back in May. Many thought he would've ended up being Trump's running mate, as the final three possibilities for Trump's running mate just before the Republican National Convention were Gingrich, Governor Chris Christie, and the eventual Vice President-elect, Governor Mike Pence. After being denied the VP spot, Gingrich can stop wiping those tears because a report has been released from NBC News claiming Gingrich to be one of Trump's top picks to replace John Kerry as Secretary of State.

Treasury Secretary- Steven Mnuchin

The finance chairman for the Trump campaign and Goldman Sachs executive has been in the talks to be the next treasury secretary. Perhaps he's not that bad... Donald trump spent an incredibly-low amount of money on his campaign, which had the obstacle of fighting special interest groups and the mainstream media, and still came out on top, defeating the human-manifestation of the Washington elites and the American establishment, Secretary Hillary Clinton.

So, maybe the guy can be trusted as the next treasury secretary. Who knows.

Secretary of Defense- Senator Jeff Sessions

A Trump supporter since February, the Alabama Senator is among the top picks for the position of Secretary of Defense under a Trump Administration. He has been known for being a stark opponent of illegal immigration, having a strict voting record calling for tougher border control, the building of fences along the Mexican-American border, and the refusal of giving amnesty to undocumented immigrants.

So, one would be correct in assuming that Trump attracted Senator Jeff Sessions like a case of Nattys to a frat boy.

Energy Secretary- Harold Hamm

The top name that has been consistently tossed around as to who will eventually be taking over the job of U.S. Energy Secretary is Harold Hamm, the CEO of Continental Resources, a company that dips very much into the fracking business. Leonardo DiCaprio might need to change his pants, as Hamm has been called the "Fracking King" by Forbes. According to Politico, Hamm has been a close associate of Trump's for years, and "has been the leading influence on Trump’s energy policy during the campaign."

Veterans Affairs Secretary- Jeff Miller

The House Veterans’ Affairs Chairman, representing the 1st Congressional District of Florida in the House of representatives, is the most common name mentioned as to who will be the next Veterans Affairs Secretary. He has been a member of the House since 2001 and a Trump supporter since April. Apparently, Trump's team has never approached him about the position, but that he would strongly consider taking the position given the opportunity.

He has been very passionate and active in veterans affairs as a congressman, so some might say he fits the bill for the job.