Why Your Soulmate Doesn't Exist

Why Your Soulmate Doesn't Exist

This might not be a popular opinion, but I am a strong disbeliever in "soulmates".
326

Your soulmate. Your person. Your ideal partner. Your other half. Whatever you want to call it, we all dream of meeting our soulmate someday. But what if your soulmate doesn't exist? Maybe I am a pessimist, or maybe I am just realistic. This might not be a popular opinion, but I am a strong disbeliever in "soulmates." Here are six reasons why you shouldn't believe in "soulmates":

1. Affairs wouldn't happen

I think we are all capable of falling in love and being compatible with more than one person. If soulmates were real, then shows like "The Bachelor" wouldn't be popular, SisterWives wouldn't be a thing and affairs would never happen. I mean come on.. just look at that gif...

2. There are over 7 billion people in the world

If soulmates were real, the odds of us finding them would not be in our favor. There are over seven BILLION people in the world, and you're telling me I am only meant to be with ONE of them? What if my soulmate is in China? What if my soulmate is incarcerated? I see so many things wrong with this formula.

3. It's too much pressure

It's so unfair to put the pressure of "soulmate" on someone. If someone considers you their soulmate, eventually you're going to let them down because nobody is perfect, whereas your "soulmate" is.

4. Love is work

If soulmates existed love would be easy. Anyone who has been in love knows that this isn’t the case. Falling in love is easy but staying in love is hard work. If you want a relationship to last, you have to work together and compromise. It's hard work, OK?

5. People change

Someone you were compatible with five years ago may be completely incompatible with you now. 18-year-old me is a million times different than 23-year-old me (thank God).

6. Timing is everything

You may find someone that's perfect for you, but if it isn't the right time, it just won't work. If soulmates were real this wouldn't be the case and timing would be irrelevant.

Just because I don't believe in soulmates doesn't mean I don't believe in happy ever after. I believe that love takes a lot of work, and those that are willing to work together with the person they love are the ones that end up in happy, long-lasting relationships.