Why Your Sister Is Actually Your Best Friend

Let's show some love.

29
Ashley Loeven

You love sisters and you hate them but, overall, they are your best friends for life. They have loved you from the very beginning and will love you to the very end. You've suffered through awkward years, embarrassing moments, and the daily craziness that ensues. So, here's to our soul sisters out there, let's show some love.

1. She’s always down for cuddles.

On rainy days, snow days, or a chilly winter morning cuddles are a given.

You used to sneak into each other's beds when you were younger just to hang and cuddle because sisters are the bomb.

2. She’s seen you go through those awkward years and still loves you despite your love of side bangs, boy bands, general lack of knowledge on how to handle zits and braces, and when your email was hotlips or sprinkliecupcake.

Yes, we all had those years but, somehow, she managed to limit the judgement and help you find yourself instead.

3. During tough family times, she is always by your side. She understands exactly what you are feeling because she is feeling it right with you.

You are going through things together and no one else will better understand what you're going through because she's going through the exact same emotions.

4. She was your best playmate from childhood. Whether you were playing with Barbies, basketball, or making up games in the woods, she was by your side.

From day one she has been your main girl and nothing can ever change that.

5. You can totally let out the crazies with her because she’s lived with you for X amount of years and is used to them or even is crazy in the same way.

You know those nights when you're exhausted and overtired and just plain loopy? Those are the times when you can be as weird as it gets and no judgement is passed, she just joins in.

6. If she is older, she has paved the way through going out, college applications, and boyfriends far before you had to handle any of that. If she is younger, you get to pave the way for her and give her all of the guidance and wisdom you have.

Let's face it, sisters are like a second mother sometimes and they've always got your back when Mom and Dad just don't understand.

7. You have inside jokes from just about forever ago. She can say, “you know that time when" and, without even finishing, hysterical fits of laughter begin.

The best times are when you are laughing so hard that you can't breathe, your stomach hurts, and you're crying because it is therapeutic.

8. She will always be there for those times when you are watching hours of "Say Yes to the Dress," "Friends," or "Full House" and binge eating potato chips and ice cream until 3 in the morning because she just gets you.

Whether it is post break-up, a bad grade, or just a boring Friday night, she is your partner in crime.

9. From your worst to your best, she has been through it all with you without judgment, just love.

Being sisters, you've known each other forever and know when to back off and give her space or when she just needs a good hug.

10. Success for one of you is success for both of you. No matter who else is envious over that you would never take it away from her.

A win for one of you is a win for both of you. (Cue the high fives and squeals.)

11. If you’re feeling the teensiest bit lonely, that phone call, Skype date, or letter in the mail reminds you that she is your personal cheerleader and will always be there.

She's always got your back and can make you feel right at home.

12. She will keep all of the secrets that you confide in her because no one is worth breaking the trust between sisters.

Confidentiality is a must. Little or big, our lips are sealed.

13. New clothes for one of you means clothes to borrow for the other, and you don’t even get too mad when they don’t return them for weeks.

She is always down for a shopping buddy.

14. Someday, when she has kids, you get to be their aunt.

You can be the cool aunt and feed them candy and take them to all the places that your sister wouldn't allow them. It will be awesome.

15. She is brutally honest about decisions including fashion, boys, and other major life choices.

Would you rather have her let you leave wearing leggings under shorts and a bandanna around your head in 7th grade?

16. She made you less of a wimp and toughened you up with some girl fights.

Everyone needs some tough skin in the real world.

17. Even when you’re apart, you pick up wherever you left off without missing a beat.

Whether it's been minutes, months, or years, nothing has changed.

This is in honor of my beautiful, smart, and awesome sister Nicole. Send this along to all your biological sisters and those best friends who are family. <3