10 Things You Should Thank Your Older Sister For

Your ride or die, partner for life.
5550

Having an older sister is like a best friend, second mom and a role model all wrapped into one amazing person. Maybe you didn’t feel that way when you were younger but now she’s your go-to, ride or die partner in crime. You know how lucky you are to have her, but sometimes you forget to verbalize it. Here are a few things you should thank your sister for.

1. Breaking in your parents for you.

Your sister was your parents’ first-go-around at parenting, so they were overly strict, set higher expectations and she took the brunt of the punishment. By the time they got to you, they eased up and let some things slide that they would’ve never overlooked in your sister’s day.

2. Her closet.

Chances are you had zero fashion sense in middle school and you looked at your sister's closet as a beacon of style. Any chance you got, you would sneak in and try her clothes on, failing completely to look as good as her. And on your covert missions, you kept a few souvenirs hoping she wouldn’t catch you wearing a few of them.

3. Being your ride for all those years you didn’t have a car.

When your parents were busy, she was the one to drive you here, there and everywhere. You would ride shotgun, listen to her music, stop somewhere for food…you preferred it to riding with your parents.

4. Turning to her for advice.

Boys, drama with friends, clothing, anything you would never go to your parents for, you turned to her for everything. She always knew what to say in any given situation.

5. Trusting her opinion above all else.

You valued her opinion because you knew that anything you were currently going through, she had been there and survived it. Whenever you needed her, she was there, answering every call or text, ready to walk you through any crisis you found yourself in.

6. Never ratting you out to your parents.

All those crazy shenanigans you took part in, she knows about them but would never spill to your parents. You have an unspoken understanding that siblings keep certain unknowns from parents.

7. Setting you straight when you make stupid decisions.

She’s the first to praise your successes but she’s also never hesitated to call you out when you’ve made the wrong choice.

8. Picking up the check, the tab, etc.

Whenever you were low on cash, she offered to help you out never expecting anything in return. She did because as your older sister, her job is to look out for you.

9. Being there for you unconditionally.

She’s never failed you, and she never will. Rides, sound advice, a good laugh, a shoulder to cry on, she’s your go-to person. Besides your parents, she’s one of the only people that will drop everything to be there for you.

10. Knowing you better than anyone else.

She knows your likes, dislikes, secrets, dreams and crushes. She knows what you’re like on your best days and your worst days. She knows how to console you and what to do to lift your mood. She’s your role model, your best friend, your older sister.