You Shouldn't Hate Your Ex, But Feel Free To Learn From Them

Actually, you should be thanking them.

288
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/02/22/6365491526738508991345635684_alfonso-scarpa-522505-unsplash.jpg

As people grow up and get out into the dating world, it seems like people end up ‘hating’ the people they dated, and that really bothers me.

Yes, they may have cheated on you, hurt you in more ways than one, but why do you need to hate them? They were once one of the most important people in your life.

I have been through my fair share of break ups. Some were not as bad as others, some were me doing the breaking, and some weren’t. Some were violent, and lacked respect for one another. Some had too much baggage, and some were cheating. These are all valid reasons to make up for ‘hating’ a person, but personally, I do not believe in hate.

Instead of being angry at the person for what happened, for what they have done to you, or how mean they were to you, I believe that you need to forgive them. Even if they didn’t apologize to you, even if they did you so dirty, you should still forgive them because it is the right thing to do and it shows a lot of character.

The song “Praying” by Kesha comes into my head when I think about my break ups. It’s a song about doing what is best for yourself. It’s a song about being torn down by your lover, and then realizing that you need to be strong and stand up for yourself. Realizing that they treated you horribly, and that you can’t do it anymore, but hoping that they change themselves, and “hope that you are somewhere praying” to become better for the next person.

People aren’t perfect, and will make mistakes. Some mistakes are worse than others, but with every relationship you have no matter how that person treated you, teaches you a lesson about yourself, and learn what you want from a person. Sometimes I feel like you should even thank your exs, because they all will teach you valuable lessons about yourself and make you a stronger person than you were before you even dated them. There is no need for hate.

You learn and you move on confidently that you are one person closer to "the one."