Why You Should Vote For A Third Party This Election
Politics

Trump and Clinton aren't the only options

9
indystar

I used to be a Bernie supporter. When Bernie made a speech about supporting Hilary I almost cried. The two main candidates were Hilary Clinton and Donald Trump. These two candidates are both terrible, they bothrepresent the corruptness of America. I knew I couldn’t find it in my heart to vote for Hilary. So I decided to do some research.

I had already heard of Gary Johnson who is running for the Libertian party. In my research I discovered Jill Stein, she is running for the Green party. I found out through an online quiz that I share most views with her. This brought me joy that I found a new candidate that didn’t make my skin crawl. But whenever I mention third party candidates I get laughed at. People say they’re voting for Hillary so Trump won’t win or vice versa. They all say voting for an independent is a waste of a vote. But a you-tuber I watch made a good point. He, Philip Defranco, said that if you tell pollers that you are voting for a third party the candidate will get into the debates and then they will gain more attention. The problem with third party candidates is they don't have a big name.

Third parties never stay around because they cannot get a candidate in office. The only person to get far as an independent candidate was Theodore Roosevelt when he ran for the Bullmoose party. People make the remark that third parties never win, but they might. The parties have always been changing and maybe this election we can cause change. This might be the year for an independent candidate. I mean when this country was founded people would laugh at the idea of an African-American president. This country is always changing and this year it’s time to make a change and vote a third party.

If you don't think your vote matters there are a lot of election won by a few votes. One of the most recent is the Bush v. Gore election of 2000. Seeing as how most people on the internet couldn’t vote then here’s what happened. There was a miscount in Florida where Gore needed the vote to win the presidency. Bush got the votes and there were a few recounts and the vote count was close and Bush won. So one state, one vote made a world of difference. In 1910 one vote did make a difference. The election was for Buffalo New York’s congressional district. The final vote was 20,685 to 20,684. So your vote does make a difference so you should vote. You should vote for a candidate you support. This election should not scare you because there are more then two candidates and if you vote for a third party you could inspire change. A vote for a third party is not a waste of a vote. If everyone does it there could be a large change. Don’t vote for a candidate because you hate the other candidate. This election chose someone you see eye-to-eye with.