Why You Should Keep In Touch With Teachers

You're a piece of them.

193
Education & Skills Today

I've gone through my entire academic career with the idea that teachers should stay TEACHERS in my life... That they should only be spoken to in a professional manner. However, as I near the end of my second year in college, I realize that although it's appropriate to speak to your teachers and professors in a professional manner, you shouldn't be afraid to build a friendship with your teachers. You see, teachers don't have to be ONLY viewed as educators; they can be your friends just as much as they are instructors. Connect with your professors both on and off class time. It will benefit you in so many ways... Here's why:

1. Teachers are meant to build a relationship with you.

I think it'd be pretty awkward if teachers only spoke to you as a robot, rather than a person. They WANT to get to know you. Not only will building a relationship help them to understand how you learn, it will also help them in finding a friend in you. Don't be afraid to open up... Sometimes, a teacher can be a best friend.

2. They want to help you.

Both inside and outside of the classroom, instructors sincerely care about their students–in their academics and in their personal lives.

3. They want to hear from you.

When you've been out of grade school, middle school, or high school for a while, your teachers always love to hear from you. You've been their own child for a certain amount of time, so seeing how far you've come and how much you've grown as a person is an incredible feeling to them.

4. You will make their day.

I can't tell you of a time that a teacher was UPSET after hearing from their past students... Why? Because that just doesn't happen. Your instructors will always be happy to hear from you, and they like to know how you're doing, especially if you have built a relationship with them. It's a rewarding experience to hear from your past students, knowing that they still think of you and everything you've taught them. (I don't know this from experience, but rather from hearing what my teachers have said about students getting in touch with them after years of being out of school.)

So, try getting in touch with your teachers again. Let them know how you’re doing, how you’ve applied what you’ve learned from them to everyday life. Give them the feedback that they deserve and the communication that they will always cherish. It will benefit you both; trust me.