Why You Should Consider Dorming With Your High School BFF

Don't listen to the rumors- living with my BFF was the best decision of my life.

6
Tabhata Paulet

Contrary to popular belief, my first year at Rutgers University-Newark dorming with my BFF was the best decision I could have ever made. When I initially committed to RU, I was set on having a complete stranger as a roommate in order to get out of my comfort zone. I’ve heard way too many rumors on why I SHOULDN’T live with my best friend, but I am grateful that I didn’t listen to the rumors because–

1. You don’t have to go through the anxiety of not knowing how the person you’re going to be living with is.
    1. Yes, there are Facebook college groups that you can join to find potential roommates with similar interests, majors, or career goals, but bottom line is you don’t know their personality or what may tick them off. However, you know your best friend’s pet peeves and what you can possibly do to avoid unnecessary conflicts.
  2. You’ll have a personal therapist at your disposal 24/7.
    1. First year of college isn’t easy – the work load is difficult, and you’re going to be away from home. There are going to be times where you’ll have personal issues that you may want to discuss with someone, and what better person than your BFF? If you are blessed enough to have a best friend like mine, it can be midnight or 4 in the morning and she will not give up until she knows you’re feeling well.
  3. Ground rules will be established without any awkwardness.
    1. Sometimes it is difficult to bring up certain issues with a person you’re not comfortable with. Bringing up the issue about visitors, cleaning the apartment, or needing time alone won’t turn into a conflict because your best friend will understand.
  4. Their friends will become your friends because most likely your best friend doesn’t stop talking about you.
    1. When I introduced my close group of friends to my BFF, they LOVED her. When I met her friends with similar interests, we all bonded immediately. We never became anti-social and focused on just each other.
  5. Because my best friend and I are so alike, we so happen to be majoring in the same major.
    1. If this is the case with you and your roomie, take advantage of it! Even though my future goal is to go to medical school and hers is to obtain a PHD and do research, we are both majoring in Biology and let me tell you now, there is nothing better than taking the same courses as your BFF roommate. During exam week, we both stay up super late helping each other with the material as best as possible so none of us fall behind.
  6. You will go through the ultimate college experience with your “sister” by your side.
    1. Everything is much more exciting when you’re with your BFF. Even going to your local mini mart at two in the morning because you are both starving can be adventure.