Why I Won't Go See 'Split'... And You Shouldn't Either

Support art that humanizes, not art that is made at the expense of another human.

72
mic

You may have heard about M. Night Shamalyn's newest movie, 'Split.' After a string of movies that were offensive, inaccurate, or just downright horrible, many say this is a return to form for the director. It has, at the time of my writing this, grossed just about $66 million. That's a lot of tickets. I will not be giving my money to this movie, and I hope you won't either. If you're looking for a scare, check out something on Netflix or basically any news station at basically any time of day.

The plot of 'Split' is essentially that a man with Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) kidnaps three teenage girls. When I first saw the trailers a few months ago, I was immediately distraught. They were making this man out to be a horror movie monster, on the level of legends like Freddy Krueger or Jason. To give it the benefit of the doubt, despite the literal premise being the issue, I read a plot summary, not sure of what I hoped to find.

What Shyamalan is doing here, is taking a very, very limited knowledge of mental illness, and completely twisting certain aspects and sensationalizing for profit. This is so dangerous. The population is not entirely composed of people who are versed in psychology or mental illness, understandably. Not everyone is interested in it, nor do they simply have the time. The problem lies in movies and other works like 'Split.' An average person will go and see this, and the association they will have with mental illness, specifically DID, will be to be afraid. They will go post statuses or tell their friends to see this movie about "a crazy guy." Then, people with these mental illnesses, will feel embarrassed, ashamed or isolated and will not receive the proper treatment they need. And it's just a generally crappy feeling to give another person -- like there is something wrong with them.

For many people, their primary source of information is (often inaccurate or biased) pop culture, even if it be subconscious. They form opinions based on what they see; we all do this, it's what we've been conditioned to do. Breaking the cycle is so important, so that we don't just accept what is put in front of us with no questioning. Challenge what you see in the media. We need to become more active in the consumption process. Ask more questions. Why am I consuming this? Why was this made? What might've been the intent? What impact does this have on others? What does this offer to the world? How do I fit into the grander scheme of the producer-consumer process?

Look, I'm all for horror movies. I grew up watching them and love when they make your skin crawl or make you take a plunger to a shower curtain (in fear that there's someone behind it), but not at the expense of a group of people who are already pushed aside and ridiculed in society. There are so many ways to find horror in the everyday world, psychological or not, that I see no reason for this movie to be made, other than to make money and alienate a group of people for cheap entertainment.

I just can't imagine how it must feel for someone with this illness, to look at posters that declare that having DID is something that people should fear. That it makes a person dangerous and monstrous. This movie literally dehumanizes its own main character, with one personality being called "The Beast," and possessing animal-like qualities. These are not all violent people, and this disorder is not all there is to these people, they are people who deserve to be treated with respect.

For directors looking to make a movie about mental illness, follow in the footsteps of a movie like 'The Babadook.' Impeccably crafted, acted, and written, this movie explores mental illness, specifically depression, while maintaining the right balance and tone. The movie is scary, but because depression is scary -- not because people with depression are scary. The movie makes you empathetic. It is human, while also having the creature and gore and tension. It understands mental illness and the people who suffer with it, unlike Shyamalan's detestable 'Split.' There are positive ways to represent and talk about mental illness. 'Split' is not one of them.

I understand that this isn't a new thing. There have been discriminatory movies before, and there will probably be more. In times where oppressive hatred is spewing from the mouths of anyone from public officials to your neighbors, movies like this only make things worse. People with mental illness need to be supported and given respect. Support art that humanizes, art that is not made at the expense of another human.