Why I Want to Be a "Draymond"

Why I Want to Be a "Draymond"

Yeah, sometimes it's better to be down and dirty like a Draymond than clean and neat like some other basketball stars. Here's why I think so.

15
Why I Want to Be a "Draymond"
NBA.com

Draymond Green is one of the NBA's most gilded stars. Although his impact is undeniable, his method is always under scrutiny. Prideful, cocky, hotheaded, impulsive, and incendiary are all words that at times accurately describe Draymond. However, at the same time, the words: passionate, talented, heart and soul, loyal, and versatile are equally descriptive of his unique talent and personality. Draymond is an unconventional superstar. He's no Lebron James, whose all-around skill and physical dominance, overwhelms and astounds opponents. Nor is he like his teammates Kevin Durant or Steph Curry, polished offensive threats that propel their team to new levels of offensive efficiency and effectiveness. There's nothing pretty about Draymond's game, and the offensive part of his game has nothing to do with his scoring numbers. He's only averaging 11.0 points per game, modest for a superstar caliber player (although superstardom is a subjective term and concept). However this season he's also averaging 8.3 rebounds, 7.0 assists, 1.4 blocks, and 2.3 steals (stats via ESPN, as of December 12th, 2016). Those are amazing numbers I don't care what you have to say about him. Only players like Lebron James, Russell Westbrook, James Harden, and Giannis Antetokounmpo (shoutout to my Milwaukee roots) are having such overall impact on their teams. What makes it more incredible is that he's an undersized center/forward combo (6'7), who doesn't boast amazing physicality. He's stocky and brutish in his movement. His skill lies in his craftiness and aggressiveness. His heart and determination have fueled his talent and ascension more than any pre-disposed advantages. There are not many people who can argue against the talent of this man , and I'm not going to try.

However, Draymond is also dripping in controversy. From on court leg kicks, to off-court altercations. From inciting refs into technicals to cussing out his coach during halftime. From getting arrested before reporting to Team USA to sending explicit pictures for all of the world to see. Or even costing your team the championship, by being suspended and losing the momentum in the series. No sane person would call Draymond a saint, or a perfect player. He talks way more than he should, does more than he needs to, and lets his fire get the best of him. All things that would make many people adverse to him and his personality. And yet, I still want to be like him.

I can do without the controversy, but Draymond's versatility is something worth emulating. On the one hand, to master something entirely or to be the best at one single aspect is incredible. However, I would take the ability to experience, and be good at a lot of things than be a one-dimensional person. I love the shiny clean look that players like Steph, or KD, or Kawhi often provide, but I'll never be shiny. My grit, and my grind, my willingness to be less than my best outward self, in order to get results makes me feel like a Draymond. I'm not the most handsome, or the tallest, or the smartest, or the best at all that I do. But despite this, I feel like I'm a force to be reckoned with. I elevate, just like Draymond does. When I was younger I wanted to be the shining star, the first person people look at, the one people want to talk about. And don't get me wrong there are times where I have those moments, those great breakout moments where no one can question my ability as a singer, as a writer, as a leader, as a student, or even as a friend. But as I grow older, I've come to appreciate being the glue. I would much rather be a multi-faceted all around guy, who takes charge when necessary, than the top person.

I see a facilitator in Draymond. I see a leader. I see a genuine person who struggles with balancing his personal pride, with his desire to be great. I see me. The imperfect, talented, intelligent, mistake prone, crafty, people person. All my life I wanted to be a Kobe, a Lebron, a Steph. I wanted to be a headliner, and I still do. But if I live my life as second or third best on the surface, while being the most important factor to success, I can live with that. If I can be the best of Draymond, then why should I be so concerned about not being Steph or KD. Sometimes the little things are the biggest things of all.