Why The CW Holds My Television Heart

Why The CW Holds My Television Heart

5 must watch CW tv shows

15
Why The CW Holds My Television Heart
ProjectRadio.com

You’ve most definitely heard of this channel before. Whether you've watched shows from your younger pre-teens or from what’s on the network right now. I’ve officially come to the conclusion that the CW is definitely the best network out there right now. I know what you may be thinking. “Does she watch Grey's Anatomy or Scandal on ABC?” “Um excuse me what are you talking about, Modern Family on NBC is perfection.” Yes, I have watched those shows and have been obsessed with them once upon a time. But just hear me out, you may start to feel the same once I’m through here. The CW creates shows that everyone seems to be talking about these days and even from years before! This is my opinion on what I believe is the best, so if you don’t agree then its okay but if you do, lets be friends and rave about our faves together. Let’s dive into some of the old and new shows from The CW that will hopefully start you up with a new Netflix binge.

Gossip Girl

Don’t even pretend like you didn’t watch this show. This was ALL THE RAGE when I was in high school. Everyone wanted to be like Blair Waldorf and Serena Vanderwoodson, living the privileged life of high school upper east side New Yorkers. When I decided to move to college in NYC I would watch this show religiously as I thought I could very well be the next Blair Waldorf in training. But clearly, my Steve Madden heels were no match for Blairs Louboutins. This show really was everything you could have dreamed about when you thought of New York. The life of luxury on the upper east side is iconic and throw some teenagers who like to drama more then their afternoon mimosas and you’ve got yourself a hit show. Don’t even get my started on Chuck and Nate *fans self*. The drama was crazy but the parties were crazier. Were they even legal? They weren’t. xoxo Gossip Squirrel.

One Tree Hill

So I was extremely skeptical to watch this show because Gossip Girl was my all time favorite and how could I possibly cheat on them. I also didn’t know if I’d like a show that took place in the middle of no where (tree hill?) and was only about basketball. WELL I WAS WRONG. I finished 9 seasons in 3 weeks. Is that normal? Probably not. But I just couldn’t get enough. The characters, the story lines, the 2000s clothes, the teen angst, NALEY (the only ship that truly matters in this fragile world). Sure, there was a lot of basketball that was mentioned throughout the seasons but this show was the real deal when it came to hitting home with friendships and family. It was always about doing things for the benefit of your family. Sometimes those decisions didn’t always go so well for the characters, like with Dan scott. Like come on man, why do you always have to interfere when people are happy. Just stop. But really, I learned a lot from this show, especially…. “Theres only One Tree Hill, and it’s your home”. Gets me every time. Please also appreciate Nathan and Lucas. Gods gift of half-brothers to the world.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

My friend turned this on one night just for giggles and we ended up watching 6 episodes in a row. It really surprised me how much I loved it. In short, its about a girl who meets up with her old high school boyfriend after many years and realizes she never stopped loving him. The problem is that he lives in California and she lives in New York. She realizes her life has no more excitement and decides to uproot herself to move to California, West Covina to be exact to try and get him to fall in love with her again. Sounds crazy right? WRONG. It is so unbelievably hilarious and to make it even better… It’s a musical. Yeah, read that again. Every single episode has a song in it that corresponds with what Rebecca, the main character is doing or what others around her are doing. For example, theres a "sexy getting ready song” and its exactly what the title says. A sexy song about getting ready. Please, if you decide not to watch the show just at least watch that musical number on youtube. You’ll cry laughing. And the writer/creator of the show Rachel Bloom who also plays Rebecca, won a golden globe for her performance. She is so inspiring as no network wanted to pick up this show but then The CW swooped in and saw how something amazing on paper could transform into a mind-blowing show. And what’s so great for viewers like myself and others is it’s extremely relatable to all the types of feelings girls and even guys have when it comes to dating. What’s a little misery without a musical number and a laugh.

The Flash

I started this show on a whim as it just popped up on my Netflix feed. I was bored out of my mind and decided to watch it. Just as a disclaimer, I love superhero's so I was on board with starting a tv show with them in it. I really can’t tell you how much sleep I lost over watching this entire show but just understand that I watched 46 episodes in 4 days. I’m not crazy don’t worry. But in all seriousness I can say that right now this is my favorite show on The CW. A little background on this show is it's about a guy in his twenties, named Barry Allen, who is played by the absolutely-adorable-so-cute-I-want-to-date-him-but-he’s-famous-so-that-will-probably-never-happen-but-I’ll-keep-dreaming-anyway, Grant Gustin. Barry unfortunately gets struck by lightning, but he wakes up from a come to realize he has the power of super speed. He is the fastest man alive. Usain Bolt can’t even catch this kid. Throughout the show, we watch him use his powers for good and save the city from countless meta-humans, people that were also effected the same way barry was with the lighting. Some of these humans have the power to work the weather anyway they want, change your emotions just by looking at you and even a guy that can shape shift into anyone he touches. Barry also has his own problems that need to be solved along with fighting meta-humans. A lot of what this show made me love it so much is about how even when you loose something, you can find a way to make it through. There’s also some ridiculously funny lines in this show that will have you clutching your stomach from laughing. And Barry in his super suit isn’t to bad to look at either ;)

Arrow

The last on my list is the current show that I’m catching up on. The only reason I thought to watch this is because The Flash lives in the same universe as Arrow. There were multiple crossovers that happened while watching The Flash which would make more sense if I watched Arrow. And I also heard tons of people loved this show so I decided to continue my binge. Arrow is a show that I really didn’t expect to love. I sincerely mean that in the best way possible. I mean how can you be a super hero who has no powers. But don’t fret my friends, Oliver Queen doesn’t need powers to kick some serious ass. This man was stranded on an island from being shipwrecked for 5 years and learned how to survive with a bow and arrow. After being rescued and coming home, he uses his new skill to fulfill his fathers dying wish of saving Starling City from the heartless people who destroyed it. Along the way, Oliver looses sight on his fathers wish and starts keeping the city safe as the vigilante from other crimes. Everyone doesn’t know how to take to the fact that there is a green hooded guy killing yet saving people with a bow and arrow. Throughout the 4 seasons that are available to watch, there are so many surprises that I never expected and was screaming at the screen to understand. If you want a show that keeps you on your toes, then definitely watch Arrow. And as an added bonus, Stephen Amell who plays Oliver Queen is shirtless in at least every single episode. I’m not even joking around, they did a tally and he was shirtless in every episode. Its truly a sight to be seen. And even with the shows dark tone, you will still laugh at how the characters approach situations. Especially Felicity and Diggle. Team Arrow represent, they are literally everything.

So in conclusion I think there are many reasons why The CW is really making shows that everyone loves. They have amazing writers that know how to connect with it’s audience and tell a story that they want to hear. Whether it’s with super heroes or upper east side manhattan teens. There are real family and friendship lessons that can carry over to real life. They also has THE BEST casting department in all of the land. Someone please explain to me how they find so many hot guys and beautiful girls and expect me to believe this is real life. There is no cast on any CW show that is bad. None. Look it up if you don’t believe me. Or just look it up because you want to ;)

It really is important for TV to have shows such as these and many others to make audiences feel like they can connect with the characters and bring them back for more seasons. So thank you The CW for being you and making me fall in love with TV every time I turn it on.

Honorable mentions that are too good not to acknowledge:

1.) The Vampire Dairies

2.) The Originals

3.) Smallville

4.) Jane the Virgin

5.) The Carrie Dairies