Why Setting Goals Is Important

Why Setting Goals Is Important

Setting goals can be your greatest tool.

28
Why Setting Goals Is Important
Pixaby

Goals. As defined by Google, the object of a person’s ambition or effort is a goal. Synonyms of this word include terms like intention, purpose, and plan. Goals are what guide us through life. They are always the first steps to every journey. Having goals are important for furthering progress in the different areas of our lives and knowing the significance can dramatically impact our lives and the lives around us. When looking to set a goal or think of a direction to work towards, keep these 5 ideas in mind.

“A goal without a plan is just a wish”- Anonymous

1. Goals increase your focus.

Let me give you a literal example of what life is like without a goal. You have a bow and arrow, imagine just for a second that you’re in a green grass field that is completely empty with no target. What do you aim at? Do you just fire in any random direction? Or would you find a random spot somewhere to aim at? Why would you shoot the arrow when there isn’t a target? It’s a waste of energy to do that. You can everything going for you and be very skilled, it doesn’t go anywhere without focus. You can’t achieve anything unless a goal is focusing your effort. By setting goals, you have a target to aim for, a direction to work, and energy to use effectively.

2. Goals are measurable!

Goals allow you to measure your progress because they have an ending. By setting them, you can physically see how you are performing and this allows you to adjust your objectives to continue making good progress.

3. You show accountability for your actions.

When you set goals, you are now obligated to act towards achieving them. This form of accountability is to you and you alone; this includes no one else. Remember, accountability is the glue that ties commitment to results. Being honest with your work, training, or actions will assist you in the achieving these goals.

4. You become a student of your crafts.

Setting goals focuses your attention in a specific direction. In order to move towards your final destination, you will have to have small objectives to get you there. These objectives are usually our weak areas and these cause us to learn more about them. As a result, you learn more about that area of your craft and, in the long-term, become a student of your craft. The people who are the most successful are the ones who are constantly learning.

“Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own”- Bruce Lee

5. You become motivated.

Setting goals that align with your deepest desires will allow you to connect with yourself. Goals motivate you and give you something to work for. These are very helpful if you are not in a good place in your life. Goals remind you of the things you are passionate about and help direct your focus away from negative obstacles.

“What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals”- Henry David Thoreau

When you are looking to move into a new direction or reconnect with a past self, remember these 5 ideas. When you find a goal, write it down somewhere that you can see it; either in a book or on your bathroom mirror. The more you see this goal, the more effectively you will be able to measure your progress, maintain motivation, remain focused, show accountability for yourself, and keep that student mentality.