Why Self-Hate Is Ruining Your Life And How To Change It

Wake up every morning and stare at yourself in the mirror until you learn how to love such a resemblance of everything God wanted you to be.

93
Her Campus

Self-hate is ruining your life because it’s a never ending lifestyle of negativity. Until you can look in the mirror and love the person you are, regardless of what anybody else says, you will forever be unhappy.

I believe every day as humans we have a choice on how we feel. I believe happiness isn’t as much a feeling as it is a choice. Our current situation often sways our attitude. Therefore, in my opinion, happiness is rather a choice. Regardless of what is going on around us, being your own biggest fan is crucial to your joy and experience of life. I believe we wake up each morning and choose to be happy or sad. I believe we can control the mindset we’re in. I also believe a huge part of a negative mindset is from self-hating thoughts.

Stop surrounding yourself with people who cause you to question your own self-worth. Constantly comparing yourself to everybody else is hurtful and damaging. As a young generation, our biggest enemy can be ourselves. Constantly telling yourself you aren’t attractive enough, smart enough, athletic enough...the list goes on and on. Self-hating thoughts can control your entire life. Trying to make the cut for yourself is possibly even harder than being able to please everybody else.

The thought of being incapable of doing what you want to do in this life is damaging. The thought of not being good enough for yourself included is what can negatively control your life.

Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I don't like the person I am. Often I think about why I currently feel this way. Do I feel this way because of literally don’t like myself? Or do I feel this way because of the lies I’m telling myself? Like how I don’t feel good enough at the moment, or how at this exact period of time I don’t look or feel my best. Suddenly when I cancel out the self-hating thoughts it changes the way I feel, talk, walk, act and live.

You are you and you alone is what you have so loving yourself is all you can do. You don't get another try at this life, or another go around as somebody else.

There’s always going to be girls and boys that dislike you for no reason. Trying to figure out what is personally wrong with you is what you are doing wrong. This is one of my favorite quotes, or “text”, if you will:

It reminds me that it’s OK if somebody doesn’t find you beautiful if you are already convinced that you, yourself alone, are beautiful. There are too many people in this world that will not like you. And that is okay. There is nothing you can do to change somebody's lack of understanding for who you are. You, yourself alone is what is beautiful and what a waste of time it is to try and convince somebody else that.

Along with finding beauty in yourself without the validation of others, you must instill this into your thoughts. Tell yourself you are worthy, precious and passionate. Because that is the truth. Wake up every morning and stare at yourself in the mirror until you learn how to love such a resemblance of everything God wanted you to be. You are a handwritten letter worth reading and a compassionate heart worth knowing, remind yourself this every day. That is what I truly believe will lead you to happiness.