Why Running is Amazing

Why Running is Amazing

No really, it is. Don't laugh.
96

To all of you out there who read this title and scoffed, you are probably part of the majority. There are quite a few people who really don't think running is the best thing in the world, which is okay because everyone is entitled to their opinion, of course. Not everyone has to be a big fan of running, and I know a lot of people aren't. However, there are plenty of reasons why it's actually amazing. Don't laugh yet; hear me out because I promise I will give good examples as to why I've said this. Here are some of the reasons why I think running is something that everyone should do all the time. And I think there will be at least a few people out there that agree with me.

1. You can adventure in the great outdoors.

Putting on your running clothes, lacing up your sneakers, and picking out the perfect playlist is just the beginning of the wonderful things that you can accomplish while going for a nice run. You get those 30 minutes to an hour outside in fresh air that everyone keeps saying is super good for you. You can listen to another chapter of that audiobook that you've been putting off forever. You can get another episode of that beloved podcast in that you don't have the time to listen to normally and, if you're lucky, you will see a dog on your path and you will be lucky enough to pet it. And there is nothing better than petting a dog that is excited to see you. Nothing. See? All good things that can happen while you're running through the great outdoors.

2. You can get your steps in or it'll be that daily exercise you keep saying you'll do.

With the FitBit fad that is starting to rev up again, you can very quickly get your steps in by going for a nice run. And it's faster than walking, which is a plus. And it will get you back to whatever you were doing in the first place quicker! If you're like me, then you will want to make sure that you exercise with enough time left over to get back and watch your favorite show or do other fun activities.

3. You can eat unhealthy food.

This may or may not be the reason why I run, to be completely honest. Being able to go for a run in the morning boosts that metabolism through the rest of the day, which means now you can eat that doughnut or have a little dessert after dinner because you did yourself a solid and ran this morning. So, congratulations! You're a champion –eat that piece of cake. You deserve it.

4. You sorta kinda have bragging rights.

Another one of my favorite parts of running is that you can tell people that you went for a run today and they will be all, "Whoa! That's so cool! You are super dedicated and you are really getting your life together! That's great!" And you'll be all, "I know! It's so wonderful that I tortured myself for 30 minutes, but it's totally going to work out for the best in the end." That's a great conversation. You should do it just for the bragging rights.

5. You really do feel better about yourself after.

In all seriousness, running really does suck. It's hard – you run out of breath, your ribs feel like they are collapsing in on you, and you have a feeling that you might die. But once you get your breath back, you really do feel good about yourself. It's called a "runners high" and it feels amazing. It really will follow you throughout the day.

Whether you think running is your thing or not, it really does make you feel good. It's my favorite way to let off steam or think for a little while. It's also really easy to get started. And no matter if you run only half a mile or a marathon, you are already doing better than you used to, and that's something to congratulate yourself for.

So go out there, make an awesome playlist, and give running a try! Make sure you stretch and stay hydrated though. Safety first!