Why Rejection is Just a Word and Not a Defining Trait

103
Peaceful Mind Peaceful Life

Life is too short to let a nine letter word define who we are

There are very few words in the English language that people try to avoid saying, hearing or even reading. But there is one word in particular that seems to make even the strongest ones weak. And that word is ‘rejection.’ Even writing the word brings about a tinge of pain. How can a simple nine letter word tear the better things out of us? There is no easy answer to this question because life is about being rejected. But despite all the rejections, everyone is doing at least one thing right and that is trying. So whether you are trying to woo the interviewer, asking someone out, or applying to your dream school, know that in the end, all that matters is you tried.

I, as well as many others, have had a fair share of rejection. I know that sounds cliche but it’s true. Even after numerous college rejections, internship rejections, and even relationship rejections, nothing could describe the pain of emotions I or anyone else feels when we read the words “we regret to inform you”. The countless rejections led me to a point in my life where I felt like I wasn’t good enough, or where I felt like I was a disappointment to myself and the people around me. I remember my first college rejection left me not only crying but asking myself “why?” Why did I work so hard for many years all to be rejected? The biggest question I asked myself was “why was I not good enough?” It seemed like there was always a better person than me. And to tell you the truth, there is always going to be someone out there better than me or you. But the difference between you, me and that other person is that nobody will ever be you or me, and that’s what makes us special and different.

If there is one thing that you get out of reading this article, it’s that you shouldn’t let rejection define you but instead, let it teach you and make you a better person. Though it took me many years for me to realize how much rejection has taught me, I learned the power of hard work, patience and most importantly determination. And you can too if you don’t let a simple nine letter word get the best of you. I know, I know, this is all easier said than done. But believe me, you will feel a lot better not only physically but mentally as well. I never realized how much rejection has taken over my life physically and mentally and how much of an impact it had on not only myself but the people around me.

Life is too short to focus on the negativity that life has to throw at us. There are times we just have to just say “it’s ok” or “so what?” and move on because in the end, everything happens for a reason and it will make us into the better people that we actually are. Who knows what other opportunities were out there if we weren't rejected? Perhaps rejection is a redirection- way to tell us that there is something better out there. In the end, our talents and capabilities, whether it be communicating in multiple languages, inspiring others to achieve their dreams, etc, are more than a nine letter word. So why are we letting this simple word define who we are? Instead, rejection is only a word- a nine letter word that should be teaching us, not defining us.