Why People Voted For Trump
Politics

Why People Voted For Trump

I'll give you a hint: most of them aren't racist

38
Why People Voted For Trump
huffingtonpost.ca

The other day, maybe a day or two after election night, I came across a viral video floating around on Facebook that simply depicted a young man sitting in a chair talking to them camera. As soon as the video began, I got the vibe that it was an ordinary case of the obnoxiously-liberal preach-videos about how Republicans are wrong in every way. You know, the ones that pop up in your Facebook news feed every three seconds while you scroll through it. I was right in this assumption. The young man calmly shocked the viewer by saying, "Trump supporters... I love you." Of course, my better judgment prevented me from thinking that this would be some sort of pro-Trump video. He kept talking, and I saw that the main message of this video is, "No matter who you are, I will not give you hate. I will give you love." Sounds nice, right? Well, instead, the man followed his confession of love for Trump supporters up with, "I'm sorry you've been led to believe your problems have been caused by women, immigrants, Muslims, people of color, LGBTQ folks, and PC culture."

I watched the rest of the video, but this one line, which was meant in total sincerity but was so outlandish that it almost felt sarcastic, really stuck with me. I know that it's not unlike the far-left to automatically accuse Republicans and Trump supporters of being racists, sexists, homophobes, Islamophobes, and every other bad label under the sun. But, because I have faith in the intelligence of my fellow Americans, I have always assured myself that the people who say these things don't actually believe their accusations to the extent in which they present them. I have always told myself that they hand out these labels simply because they can; if you're seen as on the side of racism, sexism, homophobia, etc., then, according to America's increasingly-strong code of political correctness, you'll always be the bad guy. You'll just be the evil that will, one day, be defeated by a Democratic takeover of the American political sphere, because good always overcomes evil. The people throwing out these labels see themselves as part of this Democratic takeover.

Yet, as the man said these words, I had the feeling that he truly believed what he was saying. He truly believed that half of the country simply attributes their problems to everyone who isn't a straight white male. He truly believes that it is that mindset that took action within the minds of over twenty-five million voters and elected Donald Trump to the presidency last week. The emotion that I felt most abundantly when weighing this idea was fear. I was honestly disturbed at the idea that so many innocent American minds have been so brainwashed by the mainstream media and today's Orwellian practice of extreme political correctness that everyone who votes for Donald Trump is reduced to hate.

As I outline in my other articles, I know that Trump supporters, or even Republicans in general, are not a perfect body of people. I wouldn't put them below nor above the Democrats, but there are certainly strains of the hatred they are accused of within their ranks. All a person has to do is open their eyes and they will see news stories of hate crimes that have been conducted by Trump supporters ever since he was elected. But, aside from these few, every Trump supporter voted for Donald Trump for reasons having nothing to do with hatred.

I can go on about how Donald Trump's anti-terror suggestions and economic policy ideas are attractive to a number of voters. I can go on about how some believe he can be the secret ingredient to a healthy relationship between the United States and Russia. But, important things like that tend to bore the general public, because they typically don't involve racism or sexism or any of that type of material. So, I'm just going to skip over that stuff. I'll get to the main reason Donald Trump was like a knight in shining armor to millions of voters.

He represented the rise against the Washington establishment. Frustration felt by working families, businesses, and everyone else across America is deeply rooted in Washington's inability to make real change or represent a true democracy. They have spent their lives watching politics receive all of its influence from big money; politicians have stopped serving America and have been using the political process to benefit themselves. We all know it. This is the same idea that made Bernie Sanders so attractive to the Democratic Party. He wanted the government to represent the ideals of all the people of America, not just the few at the top.

Donald Trump solidified his status as an enemy of the establishment by self-funding his campaign. This practice is unheard of among America's politicians; everyone else takes money from special interest groups and uses the media in order to advance their campaigns. Yet, Donald Trump made it clear to the American people that he would not be running so he can shake hands with a Wall Street executive under the table while fooling American voters; he was running because he saw an America that needed him. I personally believe that Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders are the only two politicians in recent memory who have made it anywhere near where they've gotten by running campaigns based on sincerity. Trump wanted to represent the American people, not Goldman Sachs. He wanted to benefit America, not his wallet.

This is the man that Trump's voters saw in him. They weren't going to allow the media influence over their vote; they knew Donald Trump's self-funding made it nearly-impossible for him to get supportive press. When you're not taking any money from special interest groups and you're running against the woman who has the media so snugly in the palm of her hands that it was revealed in WikiLeaks that CNN gave her debate questions ahead of said debate, you're not going to be portrayed as a real stand-up guy. They knew he'd get a bad reputation, and Trump, for some odd reason, thought it would be okay to, despite the media being against him, act like a total buffoon when campaigning. So, that made the fight to look sane a bit harder for Trump's supporters, but most of them stayed stiffly on the "Trump Train" knowing that bad press was to be expected.

The fight against the establishment is seen as a fight for the little guy, for truly impactful legislation, and for most of all, for democracy. Donald Trump, to so many, was the only person who could win the battle. His supporters believed he would go into Washington as president and "drain the swamp," as he put it near the end of his campaign. Among his anti-establishment promises are policies that Americans have only dreamed of: a restriction that prevents foreign lobbyists from contributing to campaigns, a five-year ban on lobbying by former members of Congress and their staffs, and he has even mentioned instating term limits for members of Congress. Because of promises like these, his supporters believed that corruption in politics would be a thing of the past after a Trump presidency. To them, Donald Trump represented a brand new beginning.

After all this, there will still be the people that will say, "Trump's supporters may not be racist, but it says a lot about them that Donald Trump's racism wasn't a deal-breaker!" The only thing I can really say to this is that they didn't think of Trump as racist. Trust me. When you spend your life being called racist by the media for stupid reasons, the accusation seldom means anything anymore, especially when it is projected toward the candidate they want for, what they saw as, similarly-stupid reasons.

So, while I may be slightly uncomfortable with a President Donald Trump, I am sticking up for his supporters. I know the real reasons they wanted to see Trump elected, and they are not the reasons the identity-politics-obsessed MSM tells us. These people, along with the rest of the Republican Party, are sick of being called racists, sexists, homophobes, Islamophobes, xenophobes, and every other name the far-left can think of. They're sick of having words thrown into their mouths. They're sick of being the "bad guys." As a Republican who has gone through it numerous times over the years, I will vouch for everyone by saying that it's offensive, it's belittling, but most of all, it's just really, really, really annoying.