Why Netflix Is So Addicting

Why Netflix Is So Addicting

How one streaming service changed the game.

558
Why Netflix Is So Addicting
National Public Radio

Why Netflix Is So Addicting

Ever since the beginning of movie development backing in the early 1900’s, humans have always seem to have a fascination with digital media. Whether it was going to the theaters and watching the weekly movie premiering or watching your favorite television show, people love being caught up in an entertaining and different world thatare involved the cinematic experience. Today, people are able to have the ultimate cinematic experience through the rise of streaming services, which provide a central platform for streaming movies, documentaries, shows all within a matter of seconds. These streaming services are becoming so popular, that many people today are cutting their cables and switching to streaming services. With the ability to access whatever show/movie they want all by the click of a button, there is much less incentive for people to invest time and money in a cable company where shows and movies are generally out of their control. This is becoming such a big issue that many cable companies and television stations are experiencing a decline in sales. This all started however, by what was once a small streaming service that aimed at taking down the concept of going to a video store. Once faced by the great behemoth that was Blockbuster and other video stores, this company now has become the epitome of American media culture and is becoming more iconic in today’s society than sliced bread. That right, ladies and gentleman, this once small streaming service that is now more popular than the President is the mufti-platform service known as Netflix.Based on personal experience, I know that it is a very common trend among Netflix user’s to “
binge-watch” their favorite shows for a multitude of hours for days on end. Many of them find themselves watching Netflix much more than they are watching tv, and many people have since gotten rid of their cable’s. Based on these findings and my personal experiences, here are many of the reasons why Netflix is so addicting and how it rows to being the popular streaming service it is today.

Netflix Is Much More Affordable Than Cable And Other Streaming Services

While there are several big reasons why Netflix is still super popular despite the emergence of other streaming services such as Hulu and HBO Go, one of the biggest reasons why this is the case has to do with the cost factor. On Netflix, in order to have unlimited streaming services on multiple devices, consumers have to pay an average of around 8 to 10 dollars a month. In terms of other streaming services, HBO Go costs an average of 15 dollars a month plus television subscription and the only service that is as low as Netflix with similar high quality content is Hulu. On average, cable costs around $100 a month, and is continuing to get more and more expensive,The fact that Netflix is so cheap means that everyone from debt-ridden college students to retirement home elders are able to afford Netflix as long as they have some form of monitor that they can watch from. Most people would look at Netflix as a win-win, as they can have tons of shows and movies that they enjoy all while paying an incredibly low price. Netflix the organization also receives the win itself because it has become one of the most successful companies in the United States given how many people are subscribing to it continuously. In the end, Netflix’s price affordability really puts a lot of people over the edge when it comes to buying streaming service, and is a part of the reason why Netflix has over 50 million subscribers (Wikipedia).

Netflix Produces High Quality Originals Not Found Elsewhere

One of the other biggest reasons that Netflix produces such a large audience around the world, is that its original content developed for Netflix are absolutely incredible. Shows like Arrested Development, House of Cards, and more have all become wildly successful since their debut on Netflix. While other streaming services do have other high-quality shows that aren’t featured on Netflix, the fact that Netflix can create popular tv series on its own streaming service makes them even more appealing to watch. While Netflix doesn’t always have wildly successful TV originals, they are becoming more and more popular to watch then some of the shows that were not produced by Netflix. The fact that Netflix produces such popular show proves much more incentive for buyers and users like you and me to invest in Netflix over other streaming services and cables, as we know that we are getting high-quality programs that are not found elsewhere.

The ability to stream Netflix on multiple platforms at time

Let’s face it, this is probably one of the best features that Netflix and other streaming services provide for its consumer. Having the ability to view your favorite television shows and movies all while being on either your smartphone, computer, or television is an incredibly awesome feature to have. As long as you have your login information available to you with both your computer and phone, being able to stream on both devices only requires a couple seconds worth of processing. While streaming on multiple devices can be difficult if your internet service is lagging or does not have strong signal, it will still work around nigh out of ten times if you have a good source of Wi-Fi/ connection nearby. The fact that many of the newer televisions have the ability to access Wi-Fi-capabilities and hold apps such as Netflix are part of what allows Netflix to stream on multiple devices, along with having an interface that can be accessed through multiple different platforms. Unfortunately, there may be a lot of cable companies who might find themselves out of business if that is the case.