Why My Dad Is My Biggest Role Model

Why My Dad Is My Biggest Role Model

Five of my favorite reasons.

294
Why My Dad Is My Biggest Role Model
Alana Magro

Although I don’t say it enough, my dad is one of my biggest role models. He always seems to know the right decision to make or the right thing to say. But there are plenty of other reasons of why I admire him; here are some of my favorites.

1. His sense of humor.

Even though my dad can be in one of his serious moods after a long day at work, he still manages to make jokes at the dinner table that everyone can’t help but laugh at. The funniest part of his joke is usually his laugh, which is extremely contagious and definitely unforgettable. So regardless of how stressful my day may have been, I remind myself of my dad’s humor and try to replicate that same type of positivity.

2. His work ethic.

Speaking of a long day at work, my dad is the most determined person I’ve ever met. Once he sets a goal, there’s no stopping him. Anytime I find myself struggling with school or thinking I’m not good enough at something, I remember that anything is possible if I put my mind to it, and my dad is living proof of those words.

3. His open-mindedness.

My dad is one of the most open-minded people I’ve ever met. He always taught me to never stop traveling, always remain open to experiencing different cultures and not to judge so quickly. He always reminds me that some of the most amazing places around the world are also the most unexpected.

4. His loyalty.

Whether it’s taking my mom out to brunch for their anniversary, or being on time to all my piano recitals, he’s there. He is a man of his word. He never missed any of my school field hockey games (regardless of how bad I was) and he continues to visit me at college for our monthly lunch together. His loyalty to my mom, sister and I is something I hope to always maintain throughout my life.

5. His pride.

Not only does my dad hold pride in his family, his business and his amazing group of friends, but if you know my dad then you know he has a great deal of pride in his Italian heritage. Since he was born and raised in Italy (I’m sure most of you are already thinking of typical Italian stereotypes), he has to have his pasta for dinner at 3 p.m. every Sunday. Yes, he has never said one sentence without talking with his hands. And yes, every year he makes his treasured homemade wine. But all jokes aside, his love for his culture is what makes him... well, him. I hope to have as much pride in everything I do one day as well. And I cannot be more grateful to have him in my life.