#WhyIMarched

#WhyIMarched

A reflection on the monumental roar of women.

14

I had the privilege to march through our nation’s capitol January 21, 2017 for the Women’s March on Washington with over half a million other men and women. I met people of all ethnicities, ages, places around the world, and occupations who all came out for solidarity. I spoke with a lesbian and gay couple, a transgender woman, and people of various ethnicities. I spoke with children as young as five years old and a woman 89 years young, all supporting the same cause. A young girl was so passionate about this cause, she held her sign “The Future is ME!” loud and proud.

I marched 4 miles around Washington D.C. with people ready for a change. I watched and participated in our nation’s capitol being shut down by the power of PEOPLE. Hundreds of sister marches partnered in solidarity in the cities of Los Angeles, Chicago, New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, San Francisco, Atlanta, Phoenix, Denver, Pittsburgh, Boise, Salt Lake, Nashville, Syracuse, Seneca Falls, and the list goes on and on. There were record breaking people in over five different cities in our nation; now if that doesn’t say something, I don’t know what does. Not only were millions marching across the nation, but also across the world. People marched in Australia, Guam, Amsterdam, Athens, Barcelona, London, Paris, Madrid, and numerous other cities worldwide. A movement created by civil and women’s rights activists Tamika Mallory, Carmen Perez, Linda Sarsour and Bob Bland has sparked a worldwide roar.

I marched alongside well known people such as America Ferrera, Angela Davis, Ashley Judd, George Gresham, Gloria Steinem, Maryum Ali, Scarlett Johansson, Gwen Carr, Ilyasah Shabazz, Cecile Richards, Amy Schumer, Alicia Keys, Madonna, Katy Perry, Emma Watson, Janelle Monae, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of NY, the mothers of Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, Jordan Davis and so many more.

I made the six hour trek to D.C (nothing compared to the California residents I met) to stand up for a cause. I wanted to make sure my voice would be heard after our switch of White House power. I have my opinions on Pres. Donald Trump, and no I do not support most of what he preaches, but that is not why I marched. I marched for my future, and for the women of our future. I marched so our newly sworn-in could recognize that women are a force to be reckon with. I marched for my equality to a man, to demand an equal pay in the workforce and the equal representation of free body that women have been threatened to have repealed. I marched because I refuse to be forced into the “common norm” of a female. I marched not in opposition but in support. Support to women, people of all ethnicities, religions and color in solidarity and in response to all of Pres. Donald Trump’s crude comments throughout his campaign and previously documented life. (link to my previous article: here)

There has been so much backlash from this peaceful protest, claiming it was “stupid and unnecessary”, claiming “people who marched are willing to kill their own children” -- sorry, but no.. that's not what this march was about-- but yes, I do support Planned Parenthood (and Planned Parenthood does so much more than provide legal abortions). I have seen commentary saying that this march is “only causing more division” -- hear people out and be willing and open to letting us women keep our rights and maybe there wouldn’t be so much division. I read people saying “all those women marched in opposition of all the changes Trump did in his first 24hrs right?” -- HAHA this is so funny. Have you read what he plans to change? Have you listened to what he has said about women (famous and not)? I mean if you’re okay with being called that then good for you; I on the other hand am not okay with our nation’s "leader" stomping all over women.

I marched because I can, because I have a voice and I am going to use it until people realize that the things our “leader” says and plans to do should not be supported. I marched because as a feminist and a female, I should be equal to a man and I should not have to fear the rights of my body to be taken away.

"President Trump, I did not vote for you. That said ... I want to be able to support you, but first I ask that you support me." - Scarlett Johansson, Jan. 21

I came out of this monumental march with a sense of pride, unity and hope for the future. I left this march forever changed and proud of the sisterhood who came out to support each other.

To those of you reading this, male or female, I hope you can reflect on this march in a positive way, not scoff at a breed who may not have voted in partnership with you. I only hope you can look at the young women of the future and think to yourself how you hope they will be treated when you aren’t around. No, we may not share the same viewpoints, but I hope that those who do not can open their eyes and see that we must support each other, spread love and peace to make this world a better place.