Why I Marched In The Women's March

Why I Marched In The Women's March

I hope this Women's March tells Donald Trump and his cabinet something.

31
Why I Marched In The Women's March
Angela

On Saturday, January 21, I marched with the Women's March on Washington in St. Petersburg, Florida.

If you know me well enough, you know I am a serious advocate for women. I'm extremely against everything Trump has to say about sexism and sexual assault (among the other things I highly disagree with).

I fell in love with the idea of having Women's Marches on Washington in cities across the United States. I can't go to Washington D.C., and many other people can't either, but we still want to be heard.

I invited my friend Gabby as well as my boyfriend Sam. My friend from High School, Kathryn, contacted me from USF to see if I could drive her with us. My car is tiny, but I can do it! My friend Amanda from college last year also contacted me to see if she could join us as well. To make things safe and easy, Gabby road along with Amanda, and me and Sam picked up Kathryn. Buddy system is always best.

I made a poster for myself.

I like metaphorical humor, so notice the orange baby hand

Whose hand could it be trying to grab me?

I had to buy water and snacks. We were planning on being outside for 3 hours and marching 1.3 miles or so. I didn't want to get dehydrated or hungry while outside.

On January 21, I woke up so unbelievably excited. I had my outfit planned out waiting for me on my table. My makeup needed to be put on. My car needed to be packed. I had to wake Sam up and we needed to head out to get Kathryn at USF.

Our drive consisted of one very thing that scared me for this march. I saw a large biker gang, one member leading with a Confederate Flag. I was scared because I thought they may be going on ruin our march, or to yell at us. But Sam calmed me down, saying even if they did come, it was a a small group of guys, while we would be thousands of women.

Based on the Facebook page for the March in St. Pete, I only expected a couple thousand of us to show up.

I was VERY wrong.

Thousands upon thousands of people were driving here and marching. This crowd was extremely huge.

I met some phenomenal women, and men.

One of the first people I met was a man who was lost along with us. We arrived at the Saturday Flea Market, and didn't know where to go. We helped find our way and helped the man find his way as well.

This wasn't just for women. Many men know there are problems in America that separate women from men. So they joined us in the fight for equality.

I met a woman named Bree Cheatham. She was a true Super Woman.

I met another woman. I don't recall her name, but I will call her Chickie Angelini.

Defunding Planned Parenthood means defunding safe and affordable abortions. This coat hanger is what people will resort to if they can't have access to safe abortions, which in turn, kills women.

I met many other wonderful people, including many people who loved my sign, and took pictures of it.

I also took a few pictures of some marchers.

During the March

I was expecting a lot of opposition.

Instead, I only got to see one man holding a Trump Flag.

That was all.

We marched and chanted out things like "our bodies, our minds" and "love, not hate, makes America great".

They told us we could only walk on the sidewalk.

You could imagine what over 20,000 people would like on a sidewalk.

Or...

You could see the 20,000 of us being allowed by the police department to take over the street.

Why Did I March?

I marched for equal pay for all people.

I marched for a living wage for all people.

I marched for equal rights for all people.

I marched for gender equality for all people.

I marched for religious freedom for all people.

I marched for healthcare for all people.

I marched for affordable feminine care for all women.

I marched for equality for all people with disabilities.

I marched for minority groups who should be treated as regular human beings.

I marched for the equality of immigrants.

I marched for sexual assault and sexual harassment victims.

I marched for better education for future generations.

I marched for all people.

Currently, the estimated number of people who marched is about 2.5 million and rising.

I marched alongside an estimated 20,000 people in St. Petersburg, Florida.

EDIT: WARNING!!!! DO NOT TEXT THIS NUMBER.

The Women's March group has said that they were not the one's that started this. I am truly hoping it was just a small women's march group that started this, but since the official one is now saying they did not do it, I am afraid this may be some guy who wants to sell our phone number information. So PLEASE. Don't text this number.

Note: I already did as well as my boyfriend did. I haven't received anything except for a confirmation text, and a locator link. Maybe that link is hazardous. I have no idea. For safety, don't text the number, unless it is verified to be part of a women's march group.

ANYWAYS...

People are saying this march/protest has been the biggest one in United States History.

That should really tell you something.

I hope that tells Donald Trump and his cabinet something.