Madness of March

Madness of March

Your team didn't make the tournament? Your bracket is busted? There's still madness

5
Madness of March

As we are in the midst of the NCAA basketball tournament, many fans are watching their team’s tournament dreams come to a tragic end. Other fans are watching their perennial team continue its storied success throughout the tournament. A select few of fans are rooting for their underdog team to have a Cinderella finish. Then there are fans like me, whose favorite team did not make the tournament. Although it’s disappointing, here are a multitude of reasons why March Madness is like Christmas in the spring.

The Underdogs

This is one of the biggest reasons why the NCAA tournament evokes so much madness. Small schools such as schools like Hampton University, Stephen F. Austin University, University of Northern Iowa have the opportunity to give the big powerhouse schools a run for their money on a national spotlight. Because of this, we see many David vs. Goliath matchups in the tournament. Many times, the highly favored team wins but there are few situations when the small school catches the favored opponent off guard. We love to rally behind the underdog. Our society is entranced by the slim chance of an underdog beating a dominant opponent. Because it seems so improbable, fans love to relish in the moment of when the upset may become reality. Regardless of where your allegiances lay, it will always be exhilarating to see an underdog steal a win from a legendary team.

The Brackets

Creating a March Madness bracket is your opportunity to boast to your friends and colleagues about your college basketball knowledge. Although the success of your bracket may solely depend on pure luck, the other competitors in your pool will never know. Many companies and groups of friends host bracket pools where the top winners receive some sort of prize. In many other pools, the winners play for pure pride and bragging rights for a full year. Because so many people participate in a bracket challenge, it makes every game more meaningful. At the end of the day, nobody wants a busted bracket.

The Buzzer Beaters

March Madness is win or go home. Each team is laying everything out on the line each minute of every game in order to advance to the next round. The will power of each team is so strong that most games are neck and neck until the very end. This competitive style of play orchestrates a game that usually comes down to at least one buzzer-beater. A buzzer beater is the single thing that can alter the fate of two teams. Whether you care or couldn't care less about a particular game, a buzzer beater is a breathless moment for any player or spectator. Buzzer beaters are a common occurrence throughout the month of March, which causes pandemonium each year.