Why #LopesRising Was Trending On Twitter

Putting Grand Canyon on the map, one tweet at a time.

55
arizonasports.com

On December 3, 2016, Louisville entered the Grand Canyon University Arena only to find themselves smack dab in the middle of a game day unlike anything they'd ever seen before. The Canyon basketball family really came through, breaking the Arena's attendance record with 7,493 people -- seven seats short of a sellout game. As all games do, a purple pregame party took place, the lights were dimmed, and what USA Today referred to as a "rave-like atmosphere" came to life. The GCU Havocs were in the house.

And they were lighting up Twitter at the same time.

As Louisville fans curiously tuned in for a less-than-bigtime game according to their standards, they soon found themselves fairly agitated -- how the heck was this "online, for-profit, Christian college" even coming close to their gold standard Cardinals?

Actually it's "Christian university" but we'll let it slide. #AreYouHappy

Soon the Twittersphere, a place of battles amongst sports fans, came to life, and #LopesRising started climbing the trending ladder.

There were many tweets that night, but the irony of the entire trend was the fact that Louisville was doing the grunt work. It wasn't GCU fans who were tweeting as fast as they could -- it was the Cardinals fans. They had taken note of the game that started out as a favor between coaches, and were quickly tuning in. These fans not only sum up game highlights, but they provide a general good vibe amongst the Lopes...you know you've made it when your opponent cares enough to talk about you.

The Havocs

Thanks for the love Jessica! Stop by Lope Country anytime! #DidWeJustBecomeBestFriends

We would love to connect with your students -- we put on a mean clinic! #HavocsHereToHelp

You make our hearts warm Kasey! MD sounds chilly, are you interested in a dry heat? #MDtoAZ

We've been called many things, and impressive is one of the favs. #TheRIGHTCompliment

Seriously, high praise from the opposing fanbase is a treasure that any program holds near and dear. To grab the attention of Louisville's fans -- and the rest of the country as a result -- is a high honor for the Lopes.

Dewayne Russell

Unreal? We agree, and couldn't be more proud of our main man. #MVP

We're tipping our hats, and are glad to have you on board! #WowIsRight

A pleasant surprise? Maybe not for the Cards, but we're sure giddy! #ThanksDewayne

Louisville fans quickly realized that they had some competition, specifically in the form of 5'11 guard Dewayne Russell. Russell's outstanding performance earned him a career high of 42 points for the evening, as well as high praise from even the most loyal Louisville fans. Oh, and Damian Lillard (guard for the Portland Trailblazers), said hi too.

Soooo you'll be stopping by soon? #xoxo

Canyon Humor

We prefer wonder of the world, but to each their own. #WePutTheGrandInGrandCanyon

We aren't cruel Greg! They get the weekends off. #Yeehaw

No really, the laughter isn't forced at all. #YouSpelledLionWrong

You only got a text? Our letters generally come with confetti and a marching band -- are you sure you're in? #RedFlag

Happy to provide your first "paint the Valley purple" experience Sean! #JobWellDone

Any good fan knows that when the other team starts smack talking your school, you've done something to deserve it. In the case of the Lopes, they gave a team that many predicted would wipe the floor with them a run for their money. In return, Louisville fans threw some humor their way...you think Canyon students haven't been making Lope jokes since 1949? Thanks for the laughs Louisville!

#LopesRising gave the Grand Canyon basketball family the attention they so rightly deserved. From a crowd that prides itself in being the best in the Valley to a guard that astounded every single basketball lover in the country, GCU brought their A game and made the Lopes proud.

I think you're right! #TwitterRising

Twitter added to the game in a way that Lopes all around the country will remember fondly. The hashtag trends may change, but #LopesRising is forever.