Midnight Madness At Grand Canyon University: A Havoc's Haven

The 2016-2017 basketball season is off to an incredibly loud start.

315
@emilyclairejoy

At 3p.m. on Friday, October 7th, 2016, students at Grand Canyon University were lining up for one of the largest events of the year. Tents were set up, a boom box was blaring, and these energetic Lopes got comfy, pulling out card games and snacks. The Grand Canyon Beverage Company -- the coffee shop on campus -- catered to the dedicated fans as they waited. They were in it for the long haul -- there were still 7 hours until Midnight Madness would begin.

At any other university, a Friday evening in October would most certainly not be spent sitting on concrete, playing Uno until there was no more Uno to be played. Yet GCU's Midnight Madness is different, and there's a reason for that. The culture behind Grand Canyon's basketball season is special; the student section, affectionately titled "The Havocs" have overwhelmed the Phoenix valley with purple pregame parties, rowdy rivalry nights, and an enthusiasm for D1 basketball that has yet to be tamed. SB Nation referred to The Havocs as "The biggest party in college basketball." No one dares to disagree.

"I am looking forward to the excitement of basketball games, as well as the traditions like the purple pre-game party! Also, I'm really looking forward to what our basketball team could accomplish this year and where our school is going -- we're becoming known as a "basketball school" which is really cool!"
Junior Jenny Mick

Senior Lily Moe, Junior Jenny Mick and Junior Beth Livingston

This season's Midnight Madness was themed "Apocalopes," with decor and costumes from the spirit squad appropriately fitting the occasion; GCU's dancers, cheerleaders, and members of the Thundering Herd pep band are a crucial part of The Havocs posse. The stage was set, the lights colored, and the mood vibrant -- everyone was expecting greatness, and greatness was what the Lopes received.

The GCU arena was like nothing the Lopes had ever seen before! The dancers and cheerleaders maintained an impressive amount of energy for the time of night, Thunder brought the crowd to their feet with his lively impersonation of Indiana Jones, and Pastor Tim Griffin joined the Thundering Herd drum line. Oh, and let us not forget the bursts of fire that captivated the crowd's attention -- GCU will stop at nothing when it comes to basketball season.

"Midnight Madness was epic. It was awesome getting together with my friends and going crazy for the GCU basketball teams. We hope all the games this season are just as fun!"
Freshman Jake Landon

Freshmen Caleb Burns, Jake Landon, Cooper Snowbarger, Jake Burdett, Manny Silva, (front) Matt Weingart, Jeremy Logan, and Brandon Watabe

The basketball teams were introduced, with cheers erupting from the already-excited fans. Yet what brought an even louder commotion to the packed room was the entrance of the teams' coaches. Women's Head Coach Trent May drove up in an eerily decorated golf cart, painted up in full "Apocalopes" attire. Following the golf cart's entrance came a roar -- then Men's Head Coach Thunder Dan Majerle came riding up on a hog.

After the teams had done their casual layups, and the evening was gearing towards its close, Thunder Dan took the mic. He reminded the crowd of the 18 home game wins from last season, proclaiming that it was because of The Havocs that the GCU arena was such an intimidating place to play. [For more on the Lopes' schedule, check this out!] With home games against Louisville and San Diego State assuring intense competition for the Lopes this season, Majerle reiterated the need to take what was done last year and turn it up a notch.

"Make this the hardest place to play -- no one wants to come here -- it's an automatic loss when other teams step on this court."
Dan Majerle

Midnight Madness opened this basketball season with a bang, and it was all thanks to The Havocs and the commitment they bring to each game.

"My favorite part of being a Havoc is the massive energy. We have a ton of school spirit and being able to show our school spirit for our athletic teams while going insane with paint and costumes couldn't be more fun!"
Senior Kia Baikie

Junior Chelsea Webb, Sophomore Juliana Marquez, Thunder Dan Majerle and Senior Kia Baikie

There's no telling where Grand Canyon basketball will be in the future. But by looking at the energy, excitement, and dedication from both the university and its fans, I'd wager that GCU basketball will only get louder, stronger, and -- if possible -- purpler. For those of you in the Phoenix area, I'd place the GCU basketball season on your calendar. It's something you don't want to miss. Lopes up!