10 Reasons Why My LDR Is Worth It

10 Reasons Why My LDR Is Worth It

Saying goodbye never gets easier, but saying hello always gets better.

48
Photo by Savanna Clardy

You know how everyone tells you not to get into a relationship right before college, and how you shouldn't have a significant other your first semester? Well, my boyfriend Josh and I didn't listen. We started dating just a few short weeks before college started, and we were completely happy. The dilemma? He was staying home, and I was moving 118 miles away. We knew long distance was going to be rough on a new relationship, but we also knew that it was what we both wanted. This is why I make it work.

1. We've seen each other 196 days in a row.

During those weeks before school, I spent every moment I could with him. This lead to us acquiring a "streak" of seeing each other, so we had to keep it going somehow. So, for the past 6 months he and I have either seen each other in person or over video chat every single day. Even on days when we're dead tired or crazy busy, we take a break for at least 10 minutes to see each other's faces. It's a great stress reliever and also a really sweet way to keep our love tanks full.

2. We have a little routine.

As we've gotten into the groove of going to college separately, we've also established a routine for our relationship. Every night we call, every 2 weeks I come home, and every Sunday we get to spend an extra bit of time together either on Facetime or at his house.

3. Snapchat is our ally.

Usually when we video chat, it's on Snapchat because we can put silly faces on during the call to still get that laugh together. We also started a private story just for each other to post updates on our daily lives. It's always so exciting seeing a new update because he's such a goof, and it never fails to make me smile.

4. We have video chat study dates.

Sometimes, instead of just hanging out over a call, we also make use of that time and study together. He can be doing his thing and I can be doing mine too, and that way we don't get behind on our school work.

5. Touch bracelets. Enough said.

Josh got us touch bracelets for Christmas, and while they may look cheesy from the Tik Toks and ads you see of them, they are so great. Not only can I let him know I'm thinking about him, but I can also let him know when I'm available to talk or need him to answer me. We have our own little code, and it's effectively made us "that couple" honestly.

6. Surprises.

On occasion I do get the chance to surprise Josh. The reaction I get is so precious and wholesome and pure that I wish I could do it every single weekend.

7. Real life dates are so much more special.

When I am home every other week, our dates are so special. Because we spend so much time apart, being together feels so fresh and right. The norm for us isn't to be together, but instead to be apart, so our dates are very big to us and they're ten times more exciting since I've been away.

8. He's my best friend.

Josh is a really sweet guy, the kind of guy anyone would want to be friends with. I'm just really blessed to get to be this close with him. I tell him everything you could imagine, and our fights never last long because neither of us can stay mad at our best friend for long.

9. We never get less excited to see each other in person.

Usually, when you see someone everyday, it gets a little monotonous and normal. It's not exciting to see them because you do all the time. For us, every time we see each other is like our very first date.

10. I know why I wanted this.

I didn't want this because I wanted a boyfriend, I wanted this because I didn't want a boyfriend. Before I met Josh, I couldn't even consider a serious relationship. Then, I decided that I could see a relationship with him because he was so special to me. He's a great leader, and he's very kindhearted and generous. Josh is everything I could've imagined and more. I didn't want a boyfriend, I wanted him.

I could go on for so much longer on just how great this adventure has been, but these are my top 10 reasons why I love my LDR. They aren't for everyone, but as long as I get to do it with my best friend, it's worth it to me. I love you J!