Why I've Lost Respect For Tom Brady

Why I've Lost Respect For Tom Brady

It's not about being the GOAT or a competitor. It's about showings sportsmanship.

781
Why I've Lost Respect For Tom Brady
Sports Illustrated

Not a day went by, from February 5th, 2017 to February 4th, 2018, where i didn't hear at least one person call Tom Brady the GOAT (Greatest Of All Time). I've heard endless stories about what an incredible human being he is and how his love for the game exceeds so many others. He is devoted in ways that so many other athletes could only dream of. His diet is extreme, and his lifestyle is even more. It is for this reason as to why I have lost so much respect for Tom Brady.

As the confetti began to fall upon the Super Bowl Champion Eagles after a hard fought 41-33 victory, reports began to flourish that Brady did not shake Nick Foles' hand when the game ended. While there isn't 100% proof that this happened, it is highly unlikely that the hundreds of cameras would not have pinpointed Foles and Brady embracing. What cameras did capture was Brady running into the locker room, being escorted by bodyguards.

Now I know what Patriot fans are getting ready to say: "But losing the Super Bowl is embarrassing. Not many players stick around to shake hands after losing the championship, in any sport." To justify this, you have to look at the circumstances.

Brady is considered the GOAT, which in football would be a huge honor because there surely have been some great Quarterbacks throughout the years. He even won MVP this year. Nick Foles was the second string QB for most of the year until Wentz got injured, and he has been doubted every week by the media and fans that he can actually lead his team to victory. Some analysts even suggested that the Eagles would have a better chance if Tony Romo would come out of retirement.

Yet, Foles won the Super Bowl and had a outstanding game. Foles went 28 for 43 on completions, threw for 373 yards and 3 touchdowns, in addition to catching a pass for a touchdown on a crucial trick play. It is for this reason why he was named MVP. It should be noted that he did throw one interception, but that was off the hands of Alshon Jeffery so the blame shouldn't be put on him.

With next to no analysts predicting the Eagles to take down the mighty Patriots, the story was certainly one that will go down in history. With all this being said, Brady should have shaken his hand. Brady should honestly have congratulated the entire team. This isn't about him already having 5 Super Bowl rings, though that can get thrown in for good measure. This is about Brady, the face of a franchise and the leader of the team, showing sportsmanship to the underdog team that rightfully won that game.

You can Google images of past Super Bowl QB's shaking hands after the game because that is what you do when you are the leader of the team. You show respect to the others who beat you fair and square. Peyton Manning shook Russell Wilson's hand after getting destroyed in Super Bowl 48. Cam Newton shook Manning's hand after playing terribly in Super Bowl 50. To make matters worse, Brady can be seen shaking the hand of the losing team in Super Bowl 49 and 51.

Brady is not the only athlete to do this. Other star athletes have been seen running off the field or court after a loss whom another article could be written about.

As fans, we should demand sportsmanship between teams, especially their leaders. You cannot show "sportsmanship" when you win one game but not when you lose. It's about showing respect for the players that bested you. It's about saying, "you know this hurts that we lost, but that was a great game." We should demand better of our athletes, especially if they have already stamped their ticket into their respected Hall of Fame.

Tom Brady certainly is one of the greatest to ever do it, no question about that. He truly is an incredible athlete with his own underdog story. But after the events of Super Bowl 52, I will never be able to look at Brady in the same way.