Why It's Important to Stay Busy When You're Going Through a Tough Time

Staying busy with the things that you enjoy can really help you to live a more fulfilling life.

27

When you're going through a tough time, whether you are just unhappy with your life or confused with where your life is going, it can be extremely important and beneficial to stay busy.

I found that having too much time on my hands would often result in me spending that time obsessing over things that weren't working out and things that weren't making me happy. When I had a lot of free time, I spent the majority of it dwelling over things from my past that I wasn't happy with as well as coming down on myself. I was using my energy in a very unproductive manner without getting very much done besides feeling frustrated and sad. Honestly, it was just very unhealthy and not a very good or very fulfilling way to make use of my time and to live my life.

Throughout the course of this new spring semester at college, I have decided to try to make a positive change in my life. I started to try to push myself a little more socially, and I decided to try to get involved in more clubs and activities. I have also tried to go with the flow a little more and to try not to obsess over and to try not to control everything in my life because frankly, not only is it impossible, it is also very exhausting, stressful, and anxiety-provoking.

Now that I have tried to embrace the motto of living more in the moment and trying to stay busy, I have found that I am happier and feeling more at peace with myself and with my life. I have a deeper sense of self, fulfillment, and enjoyment for life. Throughout the process, I have learned a lot about who I am as a person. For example, by discovering news things and new ways to stay busy, I have learned a lot about myself. I have discovered new interests as well as strengthened existing ones. Getting more involved has helped me to grow as a person and has helped me to feel good about myself and the life that I live.

I am, however, by no means stating that you should just keep busy in an attempt to try to avoid problems in your life and to avoid things that are making you unhappy. Staying busy does not fix or take away deep rooted problems. It can be a temporary distraction from some things, but it is not a permanent solution. Always seek advice and counsel from anyone in your life who can help you, whether it's your family, friends, religious leaders, psychiatrists, or really just any wide array of people and professional help. Getting the proper help, care, and attention you need as well as possibly keeping busy with something you enjoy will work together to help you live a happier and more peaceful, rewarding life.

So if you want to try that yoga class, sign up and go for it! If you want to tackle that list of books you've been meaning to read, go read them! If you want to learn more about a particular topic, such as photography, go out and learn! There is such a vast amount of knowledge, activities, events, hobbies, etc. out there for you to discover and enjoy. We have access to several of these at our fingertips, and all we have to do is have an open mind and grasp them.