Why Getting Skimm'd Isn't So Bad

Why Getting Skimm'd Isn't So Bad

23
Why Getting Skimm'd Isn't So Bad
theaveragegirlsguide.com

When I first heard of theSkimm, I probably rolled my eyes at the idea. "Really?" I thought. "Has it come to the point that our generation can only glance through quick snippets of the news?" I can attest to being one of the most skeptical users when I initially signed up for the subscription, but since, I've had a change of heart.

Let me trace this initial change back to the founders of the company: Danielle Weisberg and Carly Zakin. After some research, I learned the two young entrepreneurs crafted the idea for this newsletter while working at NBC, and have since left their jobs to create their empire. “We wanted to fit in with the routines of the millennial market we were going after, so Carly and I just looked at what we did every morning, and that was roll over and check our phones,” Weisberg says. My feelings started to change after I grew an appreciation for the two creators, and their vision slowly started becoming more apparent.

via: hereandnow.wbur.org

Second, I started to become an avid user. While eating my breakfast on the go, I became accustomed to opening my phone to their morning newsletter with a catchy subject line. I was able to get a quick glimpse of world happenings with background on each subject to keep me somewhat informed.

I was also drawn to theSkimm's formatting. Although it is a little spacey and uses humor on sensitive subjects, it completely represents what our generation is attracted to. Typically, the news is broken up into three to five different sections, with each section being introduced by a witty question that is answered in the first line of the following paragraph of news. It's almost as if there is comic relief instilled in each piece of the news because, let's be honest, the news isn't always rainbows and butterflies.

Finally, theSkimm acts as an overarching preview to viewing the news in more detail. Sure, I wouldn't say that this news platform gets you the full story by any means, but it keeps you updated and previews stories you might be interested in following. For example, if there was a new update on the Syrian refugees, the writers summarize the new event, which allows you to follow up on the topic later in the day.

I am not saying that theSkimm should be your only news source, but I am saying we shouldn't turn our noses up at it like I once did. After some research and becoming a committed user, it has helped give me a new version of news. It provides me with a way to compliment my usual dense, emotionless news articles by keeping their version humorous, quick and efficient. If you have yet to find your quick news staple, I'd encourage you to give theSkimm a chance.