Why I Don't Believe In Romance

Why I Don't Believe In Romance

Yes, I am a girl and no I don't want romance

707
Why I Don't Believe In Romance

Romance novels, romantic movies, television shows should make me swoon, I am a girl right?! Every girl dreams of true love, her knight in shining armor, the wedding she will never forget. From October through February the Hallmark Channel plays romantic movies, each one like the last. Girl and guy meet, fall in love, and live happily ever after. Sounds dreamy right?

Let me hold back a gag, as I defiantly shake my head no! Yes, I am a girl, but no I do not like any of this romance nonsense! Maybe I am not normal, but I am not the type of girl that can be won over by some grand romantic gesture. You will not see me watching any type of romantic movie; give me something action packed with explosions and car chases. Valentine's Day is just another day to me and always has been. I don't want flowers, cards, or any other present that is supposed to show someone's love for me. I have never liked Valentine's Day, why do we need a day to prove how much someone means to us.

I may not believe in romance, but this does not mean I believe in love. I have a husband whom I love very much and would do anything for. We may spend our anniversaries watching a movie, eating take out, and falling asleep early, but that is ok. We both know how much we love each other and we both would rather spend these moments at home in our sweatpants enjoying a little quiet time we hardly ever get or sometimes a loud house when we can't have time alone.

I am not sure what has made me such a cynic of romance. Maybe it has been society's unrealistic view of romance that is stuffed into every girl's head when she is little. The continuing of this unrealistic view we get from romantic television shows and movies. Chances are you will never meet a stranger, who turns out to be a prince, who you fall in love with at first sight and then he sweeps you off your feet and you live happily ever after. I have never personally had this type of encounter and have never met anyone who has. Romance novels are just as bad, pirates, cowboys, and billionaires sweeping women off their feet. Even writing about all of these romantic encounters are making me sick!

Just because I am a girl does not mean I have to believe in all of this. I don't have to swoon over romantic movies and television shows and I don't have to be obsessed with romance novels. Valentine's Day will never be my favorite holiday and I will always prefer couch "dates" in my sweatpants with pizza over a candlelight dinner in a fancy restaurant with fancy food and romantic low lighting.

Yes, I am a girl and no I will never be a romantic!