Why College Women Need Feminism And The Women's March

College women must fight for equality in order to secure equal opportunities for the future.

11
Today News Headlines

While I was walking down Wabash Ave in Chicago on Saturday, surrounded by thousands of other vocal individuals who were just as disappointed in the legislative system as me, an overwhelming feeling of belonging overcame me. People of differing genders, sexes, races, ethnicities, ages, and social classes from both ends of the spectrum marched side by side to call for action on the oppression that still plagues our society. In groups among the protesters, chants were echoed through the streets and shared by the voices of each marcher within the vicinity. One chant stuck with me for the duration of the day: "this is what democracy looks like."

And that's exactly what this march portrayed: a democratic act taken upon by the people of the world to reflect their discontent with the current political standings. While I sat and pondered that phrase, I began to connect it to my life and how gender inequality can affect me and those around me.

The protesters are correct in saying that these acts are results of democracy, but in reality, his is what feminism looks like.

The true definition of feminism is that both women and men are equal, not an act of domination or movement promoting hate toward men. Although many would argue that women are treated equally today, there are numerous factors that prove otherwise. Feminism is not only needed for women, but it's safely deemed a necessity for women of college age.

A substantial issue with the current system is the lack of equal compensation in the workplace. In 2015, women working full-time only received 80 cents for every dollar that men made despite performing the same job. This means that there was a 20 percent wage gap, which can create monumental differences as wages increase. This factor will prove to be especially influential among collegiate women during their upperclassman stage as they search for internships and full time positions. A study conducted by Yale researchers found that women are less likely to be hired in the STEM field even with having identical resumes with men. So, despite completing just as rigorous courses and similar leadership positions as men, women still aren't receiving equal consideration for their accomplishments

As a college student myself this worries me. I fear for my prospects within the working world as should other females working towards their degrees. I fear for my female friends pursing engineering degrees and science degrees with aspirations to be doctors. Feminism isn't about condemning the men; it's about attaining validation for what we have earned.

Not only do women receive less compensation than men and are hired less despite being just as qualified, but women also must face unequal standards among the social aspects of college life. One is five women will be raped at some point in their lives, and 91% of all rape victims are female. Not only does this data create unnerving feelings for all females, but once a female enters college, which promotes itself as a safe space for all, she is still not safe from becoming a victim of sexual assault. Among undergraduate college females, 23.1% report experiencing rape or sexual assault through violence or physical force. It's important to remember that these aren't just numbers -- these statistics show an unsettling amount of victims. This means that for every 100 females, approximately 23 of them experience rape or sexual assault, which is enough to make up two basketball team rosters.

Even stereotypes have proven to prevail on college campuses. If a female decides to pursue an engineering degree, she shouldn't be told that she isn't capable. On the other hand, if a female decides to pursue a psychology degree, she shouldn't be told that she's following the status quo.

College women need feminism in order to combat these figures and solidify the equality we deserve. We shouldn't have to worry about walking back to our dorms or apartments from the library after a long night of studying. We shouldn't have to be on the look out every time we go out to a bar. We shouldn't have to try to convince an employer that we're perfectly capable of performing the duties of a certain position despite our resume clearly showing that we're qualified. We shouldn't have to accept the fact that employers deem us as less analytic and mathematically savvy as compared to our male competition.

As college students, we are this country's next generation of leaders. This is why I urge college females to find solidarity within the feminist movement and help promote an equal ideology. Men and women are equal, and we demand to be treated as such.