Who Are We? Odyssey at UMBC!

Who Are We? Odyssey at UMBC!

Writers, Biology majors, coffee addicts. Get to know the talented Retrievers who make up the UMBC Odyssey community!

103
Who Are We? Odyssey at UMBC!
Abby Hart

Who exactly is an Odyssey writer? The answer? Anyone with a passion for writing and sharing their opinions and world view! Odyssey has democratized the traditional world of student journalism by allowing writers to showcase their passion and creativity while fostering their writing skills. Odyssey began its journey at UMBC last year and we continued to publish articles over the summer! We are back on campus for the fall and excited to announce that we are becoming an official student organization here at UMBC.

In the mean time, meet the incredibly talented Retrievers who make up the UMBC Odyssey communty! If you are looking to share your opinions, report current events, or grow as a writer click here to find out how to apply to write for UMBC Odyssey!

Abby Hart, Editor in Chief

Major: I’m a double major in Media and Communications and Ancient Studies!

Hometown: Westminster, Maryland

Clubs & Organizations: Vice President of Tau Sigma Transfer Student Honor Society and an active sister of Phi Mu Fraternity for Women.

Why do I write for Odyssey? Writing and editing are my dream jobs! Odyssey gives me a space to express myself and to meet other people who share my passions.

Favorite article I’ve written: The 10 Commandments of Having Curly Hair because it made people laugh but it also speaks to wider ideas about personal space and respect in our culture.

Where can you find me on campus? I’m always at Starbucks! I’m a four cups of coffee a day kind of girl.

Emma Sampson, Assistant Editor/VP

Hometown: Garrett Park, Maryland

Clubs & Organizations: Humans vs. Zombies, MBC news radio show, and the Musical Theater Club.

Why do I write for Odyssey? I like making at least one person think about an idea or opinion that they haven’t thought about before, and as long as someone reads my article or shares it I’m happy.

Favorite article I’ve written: What College Did To My Body.

Well, speaking of my favorite article, you’ll most likely find me at the RAC this semester!

Morgan Mullings, Social Media Coordinator/Public Relations

Major: Media and Communications

Hometown: Lawrenceville, Georgia

Clubs & Organizations: The Retriever Weekly, Splash, BSU

Why do I write for Odyssey? Writing is my favorite thing in the world and Odyssey not only allows me to share my work but also meet people who love writing as much as I do.

Favorite article that I’ve written:Mother's Day for the Black Woman.

Advice for an aspiring Odyssey writer? Write what you want to write and put in your all.

Boebin Park, Secretary

Major: Biology, Pre-Med

Hometown: Baltimore, Maryland

Clubs & Organizations: Alpha Sigma Alpha, and the Bioethics debate team.

Why do I write for Odyssey? Because I like to write!

Favorite article I’ve written:Comfort Women: Resilience Against Repudiation.

Advice for an aspiring Odyssey writer? My advice would be to plan your article ideas in advance!

Richard DeShay Elliott

Major: American Studies & Political Science

Hometown: Bowie, Maryland

Clubs & Organizations: Student Events Board (Seb), College Democrats, Black Student Union, and The Retriever Weekly

Why do I write for Odyssey? I love writing. It’s very cathartic and enjoyable to me.

Favorite article I’ve written:’Twas Bigotry Killed The Beast.

Who inspires me? My family members, Barack Obama, Robert Reich, Bernie Sanders, MLK; all the stereotypical liberal heroes.

Belinda Tamrakar

Major: Biology, Pre-Pharmacy

Hometown: Olney, Maryland

Clubs & Organizations: Students Events Board (Seb), Alpha Sigma Alpha, South Asian Student Association, Pre-Pharmacy Society, Nepali Student Association

Why do I write for Odyssey? To me, Odyssey is a unique kind of media platform where the individual is reached not by a polarized lens and given a conformed message, but by the voice of another individual with similar attributes. The most powerful thing we were given from birth is our ability of thought. A single thought can spark an entire revolution of events to occur. Against a powerful force such as the media our thoughts are often altered to conform to what a larger force of society wants us to believe. As an individual, we are able to use media platforms such as Odyssey to voice our own thoughts without them being filtered or completely lost.

Favorite article I’ve written:Moves From The ‘80’s.

Where could you find me on campus? I’m either running everywhere around campus to some event or some class, and if not then I’m probably in my dorm binge-watching a show.