How my grandmother grew up through a century of change
Education

Living Through A Century Of Change: Patricia Sherman

My grandmother's story.

124
Reilly Nesbitt

Grandparents have such a special role in many peoples' lives. They are wonderful role models and many play an active part in their grandchildren's lives. I am one of these lucky grandchildren. My grandmother, Pat, is an incredible woman and I thought it would be fitting to speak about her life.

I could sit for hours listening to her stories and experiences, and I wanted to share some of these with you. Listening to these stories has put so many things into perspective for me, and I think they are something everyone should hear.

Pat has watched and lived through a century of change. She has witnessed women receiving more opportunities and being accepted into the work force. She has seen gender roles changing and family dynamics transforming. Through all of this, she has worked hard and successfully raised a beautiful, loving family while also nurturing a heartening love with her husband, Bill.

Patricia Sherman was born on February 25th, 1927. Pat describes growing up in South Minneapolis, Minnesota as "wonderful." She recollects on her younger years with a smile on her face and positivity radiating from her words. She remembers walking eight blocks to middle school and over a mile to high school because there was no bus service.

While in school, she was involved in various activities, which each brought her friends and memories that would last a lifetime. Pat loved speed skating and said, "That was in the early elementary grades and up through junior high school. I was asked to join the club and I trained a lot. I even met some Olympic winners that belonged to my club." She says this was one of her favorite memories.

Pat grew up in a great, large family. Being the last born, she had one older brother and two older sisters. She brags about her brother and his achievements in the military before becoming a successful attorney.

Pat's mother, Helen, was a registered nurse at Abbott Northwestern Hospital. Before that, she was a nurse in World War I where she met her husband Maurice. After getting married, Helen resigned from her job as a nurse and became a housewife, with the goal to raise three happy, healthy, and successful children. To make use of her free time she became a volunteer at the Minneapolis Cancer Society and eventually led the entire organization while Pat was in high school.

Pat reminisces on the kind heart of her mother and says, "She would take her car and pick up people who needed cancer treatment if they could not afford a car. She was a very good lady and a wonderful mother."

Pat's father, Maurice, was a successful lawyer who represented the Minneapolis Millers, now known as the Twins, as well as corporations like Dayton's and Green Giant Company.

Pat mentions the character of her father by saying, "He developed his law practice into a very successful enterprise. He had to be based in Minneapolis because that is where all the big court systems were." Nevertheless, he would take the family to his hometown of Le Seur every single Sunday for dinner.

"He was so loyal to his small town until the day he died. I'm proud of him for that." Maurice and Pat spent much time together. He would take her to every game The Millers had at home, she remembers this by saying, "What I loved so much was all the treats were free! Bill, my now husband would join us, too."

Pat says, "I met my husband in the 8th grade. His school only went through the 7th grade so he came to my school. We would go to penny movies together during the lunch hour!"

After high school, Bill went into the air core because it was required due to the draft. He went away for two years and then enrolled at the University of Minnesota, where Pat was attending school. He graduated after four years and then they got married right after college.

Pat explains how different dating was in her days. Big groups would go out together and spend time together. She says, "It was rare to go out on a date alone, unless it was a school date."

Pat's parents influenced her life greatly because they both played such large roles in her life. Helen and Maurice influenced many of her interests and morals. In college, Pat was a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority where she was the chair of the benefit of the cancer society. She held this role with pride because her mother was a well-known volunteer who led the Minneapolis Cancer Society.

Pat also worked at Dayton's Department store during college. She says, "My parent's didn't force me to work but they instilled that in my system of beliefs." Pat is passionate about working hard and has done so her entire life.

Pat had a hard time choosing one memory from her lifetime to be her favorite or most memorable. Although after giving her a minute or two, a smile spread across her face.

"My most memorable moment was when I met my husband. I will never forget it. In 8th grade he was standing out on the playground. I knew it then and there. I said, 'wow'. I knew it from an instant."

Anyone who knows Pat and Bill knows how beautiful their love is. Being married for sixty-eight years is something to be proud of, and so many people admire their relationship.

My grandma was so happy to share all of these stories with me. Her face lit up with a beautiful smile when I asked her to tell me about her life.

Take some time to appreciate your grandparents. Family is so important. Show them you care and learn about their life. You never know what lessons you could learn.