When Your Little Brother Isn't So Little Anymore

You realize that your protective instincts never go away, even though he's taller and stronger than you now.

2599
Christi Vandergift

Every little brother is different. Some little brothers were the sweet and quiet babies wrapped in a blue blanket, and some were the tiniest monsters you ever saw, watching them giggle with pride as your mom struggled to get the diaper on quick enough. Some little brothers were the easy-going and laid back boys and some were the rambunctious toddlers who could run face first into the fridge and continue on like nothing happened. As a young girl, I always wanted a sister, but sixteen years ago, my mom and dad brought home a baby boy with the chubbiest cheeks. Now he's a sophomore in high school, and as he's getting ready to for his driver's license in a few months (stay off the roads!), I'm left wondering where in the world did these last sixteen years go?

Well, when your little brother isn't so little anymore, you realize the days spent riding our scooters up and down the road, driving the toy motorcycle around the house, and dressing up as the Power Rangers are (probably) over. Having a little brother meant having a personal playmate who was half daredevil. So many bumps, bruises, and stitches were accumulated over the years, but each one includes a funny story that our parents can finally laugh about now. Of course, any game had a fair share of arguments and pointless bickering, but Mom forced us to say sorry and everything was okay again. Those days will be missed for sure.

When your little brother isn't so little anymore, you start to realize how old you really are. Wasn't it just yesterday that I was getting my permit to drive? Or that I was scheduling classes for my junior year of high school? Thinking about my little brother living through the milestones that I once lived through makes me feel quite aged, so I can only imagine how my parents must feel right now.

When your little brother isn't so little anymore, you realize that him protecting you makes a little more sense now than you protecting him. The growth spurts are the part that you never see coming. One day they're the perfect size for an arm rest and the next day you have to look up at them when they're talking. My brother is my height now and works out at a gym on a regular basis, so he could do a lot more damage than I ever could.

With that being said, when your little brother isn't so little anymore, you realize your natural big sibling protective instincts never go away. He may be taller and stronger than you, but as soon as you hear one person say one bad thing about him, you're rolling up your sleeves. It may not even be a big deal, but that's your little bro and no one talks to him like that. And when it comes to girlfriends, you will only allow the finest of the finest to even think they have a chance with him. Anything else will simply not be tolerated.

When your little brother isn't so little anymore, you realize this is the time when all your mistakes and embarrassing stories could be of great use! You've been through all of this before, so you know what to do and what not to do (hopefully). Any advice that you can give on topics ranging from school to jobs to relationships can be really crucial right now. These brothers may not be too interested in what you have to say at this moment, but they'll thank you later.

Lastly, when your little brother isn't so little anymore, you realize how proud you are to still call him your little brother. He may have called you names, threw toys at you, caused injuries, and pointed the finger at you when it was clearly his fault, but let's be honest, there were a lot of laughs and smiles, too. Now he's growing up and accomplishing so much, making you and your parents excited to see what he'll accomplish next. This little brother of yours is turning into a hard-working and independent adult, but should you be surprised? Of course not! Because he had the best older sibling he could have possibly ever wanted, and that makes all the difference.

Sending a very happy birthday to my "little" brother, Michael!