When magical creatures raise human children

A fairy tale about a pair of twins abandoned in the forest

54
Art LWP

This is one of those tales of children who lose their parents and are raised in the forest by wolves or wild creatures and when they are rediscovered by society, they no longer speak or act like human beings.

There once was a pair of twins named Rena and Raven. They were very close until the day their stepfather decided there were too many mouths to feed and one of them must go. Their mother who was very frail and soft-spoken couldn't speak up against her husband nor could she choose one child over the other, so she wrapped both of them in wool blankets and laid them in the forest hoping for the best.

Along came a giggling fairy who was actually a lady in waiting in Queen Titania's court. She fell so in love with Rena's clear blue eyes and curly locks that she picked the child up and carried her away. After a while Raven who had been napping, woke up and reached for his sister. Unable to find her, he cries for his mother only to find that he was completely alone. Unsure of what to do he laid still until a passing robin flew onto his head. Soon a whole cluster of birds were chirping about what to do when a dwarf stepped in offering to take the child. The birds started screeching indignantly saying they found him first, when the dwarf reminded them they knew nothing of how to care for a human child. The birds quieted down after this and flew away, one after another. The dwarf then took the boy to the underground caves where the dwarves have their dwelling, and raised the boy to be a good blacksmith since dwarves have always been good forgers and their weapons are the best in the land.

Meanwhile, the fairy had brought Rena to the fairy queen who was so taken with the child's loveliness that she adopted her as her own, and Rena was raised as a fairy princess. The twins eventually grew to adulthood and soon felt a longing to see each other again. They both set out to the very same forest where they had been abandoned, and embraced on meeting. They opened their mouths to speak to each other about all that had occurred when they came upon the realization that they couldn't communicate. Now one thing you as the reader must understand is that dwarves and fairies have their own individual languages and since they never once considered Rena or Raven might wish to return to human society, they never thought to teach them any human tongues.

Thus, the twins were frustrated and vowed to learn the tongue of the land they were in so they could speak to each other.The townspeople found them strange and wild, and ignored them or hid when they came to the village. But the men were impressed at Raven's crafting ability and Rena sung and danced as beautifully as she looked. The two were called to the castle where Raven was employed to make weapons for the king's army and Rena was made the Queen's lady in waiting. Driven by determination, the siblings finally learned the language of the kingdom as well as the court etiquette. However, people still made remarks at Raven's aversion to sunlight(after spending so long underground) and Rena's bouts of giggling and silliness(for everyone knows that fairies can never be serious). Fortunately, the two siblings never minded for human gossip and lived happily for all their days.