The 13 Best (Or Most Horrible) Disney Villains

The animated antagonists that we love to hate.

2185
Walt Disney Studios

Everyone loves the classic Disney protagonists, and some even wish they could be them. Rewatching the movies of my childhood, I often notice how much thought goes into the creation of the villain. They are so evil and so easy to hate. Sometimes I even find the bad guys more interesting than the good guys because of how developed they are. These poor villains always lose the battle and are forgotten in the sea of princesses and happy-go-lucky main characters. It's time that they deserve some recognition and appreciation. I mean, without them, there wouldn't even be any Disney movies!

Here's a short countdown of the 13 most unappreciated-yet-still-ridiculously-evil villains that Disney has created so far.

13. Clayton (The Poacher) of "Tarzan."

Clayton was such a sneaky guy. He joined the expedition to supposedly "research" the gorillas, but later displayed that he wanted to catch the gorillas and sell them (or possibly kill them). We had no idea just how evil he was for about half of the movie, and then he just springs out of nowhere and wreaks havoc throughout the jungle.

12. Governor Ratcliffe (The Greedy White Guy) of "Pocahontas."

I don't really need to describe why Ratcliffe is such a rat. He wanted gold and fame so badly that he would kill for it. He also taught me what the word xenophobic meant, so I guess that was nice of him.

11. Maleficent (Scary Sorceress) of "Sleeping Beauty."

Maleficent embodies the full spirit of bitterness, but her magic was still super impressive. This crazy lady literally cursed a baby because she wasn't invited to her christening. What the heck?

10. Ursula (The Weird Octopus Lady) of "The Little Mermaid."

First of all, she is by far the most creepy of the villains for me, mostly because she's half-octopus or squid or something. And the part where she becomes like 50 times bigger to try and destroy the ship? Yikes. This villain preys on people's (or mermaids') desires to achieve her own goals. She might give them what they want, but there is always a catch that's almost impossible to defeat. This power-hungry creature hoards the souls of the individuals she snares in her sneaky net, and she uses her magic to try and destroy King Triton and become the Queen of the Sea.

9. Mother Gothel (The Kidnapper) of "Tangled."

"In the criminal justice system, sexually based offenses are considered especially heinous. In the Kingdom of Corona, the dedicated knights who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Special Victims Unit. These are their stories. DUH DUH!" OK, so this might be a bit of an exaggeration, but Mother Gothel still kidnapped Rapunzel as a baby just to use her hair. And she kept her locked away for 18 years while lying and saying that she was her real mom. Where's Detective Olivia Benson when you need her?

8. Queen Grimhilde (The Wicked Queen) of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs."

The original evil queen graced us with her presence in 1938, and it's hard to not include her on this list. She hates Snow White for no other reason than just because she is considered more beautiful than the queen herself. It's pure jealousy. Being jealous wasn't just enough either, she had to try and KILL Snow White. She also made herself an ugly witch at one point... She made herself ugly to kill someone beautiful.

7. The Queen of Hearts ("Off With Their Heads!") of "Alice in Wonderland."

This queen is off-the-charts crazy. Her subjects live entirely in fear of her, and she uses animals as a croquet set. Also, she thinks that she can solve all of her problems by beheading everyone. She lost a game of croquet to Alice and ordered for her to be killed. Take a chill pill, lady.

6. Claude Frollo (The Minister of "Justice?") of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame."

Sometimes I forget that this movie exists, mostly because it is the darkest Disney film created. I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate for children, but hopefully they just watch it and are unable to fully comprehend what's going on. This horrible Deacon produced a horrifying amount of sexualized evil undertones. He didn't blink an eye when he locked a baby in an attic, and he even considered burning down the entire city of Paris just to find the gypsy that he is in love with. Talk about stalking.

5. Gaston (The Bro of All Bros) of "Beauty and the Beast."

Gaston is just plain annoying. He's aggressively chauvinistic, rude, and extremely vain. He thinks he is "The Man" and is great at everything. Even though Belle says 'no' repeatedly to his sexual advances, he will stop at nothing until he gets a 'yes.' He even tries to kill the Beast just because Belle likes him more. Side note, it's unclear if Gaston actually works out or if he just eats a plethora of raw eggs. Could this be the new #gains strategy?

4. Jafar (Really Tall Evil Sorcerer) of "Aladdin."

OK, maybe he isn't really that tall, but when he stands next to the little Sultan he seems like a giant. This guy has no morals, doesn't understand remorse, and wants to trick Jasmine into being his slave queen just so that he can kill her and take the throne. He's pretty much an amoral psychopath, which makes him pretty scary just because he's realistic.

3. Lady Tremaine (The Evil Stepmother) of "Cinderella."

This woman is possibly the easiest to hate, as she has no magical abilities or real authority. She literally is mean to Cinderella just because she can be. She's so mean that even her cat is evil, not to mention her daughters. It's a true testament to her personality that she makes this list because she doesn't do anything but be cruel to one girl.

2. Cruella De Vil (The Dog Murderer) of "101 Dalmatians."

I don't even know how someone could come up with a character as despicable as Cruella De Vil. Everything about her is loathe-worthy: Her theme song, her weird green cigarette, and even her half-white-half-black hair color is whacked out. She's mean, vain, and condescending. Not to mention the fact that she wants to SKIN ADORABLE PUPPIES just to make a stupid fur coat! Who does that?

1. Scar (The Bad Lion) of "The Lion King."

I find this villain the most intimidating because he uses his words, not necessarily his actions, to attack other lions. He was the one who let Mufasa fall to his death, but he somehow twisted it to make it seem to Simba that it was actually his own fault. This master of manipulation will just plant dark thoughts in his enemies' heads to watch them tear themselves apart. This villain, while he might only be an animated lion, seems the most realistic of all of the Disney characters yet.