The Body During Finals

The Body During Finals

Treating a body post distress.

77
The Body During Finals
US News

First off, congratulations on completing hell week. But what really happens to our bodies as we cram our why through a jam-packed schedule?

Most of us can agreeably say that sleep deprivation comes with the acceptance letter from our colleges. It's what we signed up for, but finals week takes even this to another level. I know I only managed to get around 2.5 hours of sleep the entire weekend before finals. It was a bittersweet method of studying. You'd feel the regrets after the pressure of tests. Now, there is no real way to "catch up" on sleep. When you're truly sleep deprived, fatigue overcomes your brain’s regulatory processes over your emotions. You're likely to be accused of being cranky, anxious, and emotionally unstable. These side effects seem very harsh to the product they possibly give out, so many people still wonder why all-nighters are still a thing. But ask any college student, it's very hard to turn your brain off with the pressure of finals and projects down your back.

From excessive hunching over a desk to hours of straight writing, there is discomfort all over your body. The effects of carpal tunnel could be a result of the extent of your study notes or the ridiculously long short answer questions you had to answer in 50 minutes. Hand cramps can have adverse effects on your quality of life. Trying to do simple activities can become difficult and aggravating. Overuse in combination with dehydration can lead to muscle spasms. If your hand does become inflamed for long periods of time, this can lead to some serious repercussions in the long run. Often, many bone disorders like arthritis stem from excessive use without proper care in addition to known genetics.

What's more is that finals week becomes cheat week, which becomes cheat break. Every time you reach for that candy, there's always that intense guilt we all just avoid. Personally, I could finish an entire box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and an entire carton of almond of sugar: 155g. Yeah, it happens. When Dominoes specifically puts out there 50% off special during a peak time of stress, it's hard to say no. Most of us don't. With so much junk food, a large majority of your muscles have begun to break down, tissues are inflamed, blood pressure rises. Not to mention, this is not the type of glucose your brain thrives on. Complex carbohydrates would be the ideal go to, but it's hard when Dominoes is open 'til 3am. Junk food will often leave us feeling even more sluggish and tired in addition to the sleep deprivation.

To recover from it, drinking a lot of fluids and vitamins is essential because your immune system took a huge blow without sleep. The last thing you want is to be sick when you finally can relax (AKA- me right now). While sleeping for 24 hours to make up for it may seem like the best idea, it can actually create more fatigue. The important thing is to ensure high quality of sleep. Meaning a quiet, dark, serene environment, allowing your cells to replenish themselves naturally.

I cannot stress the importance of fluids enough. Fluids can even help with muscle cramps because our muscles require hydration to work efficiently. The addition of turmeric to you diet will also help. Turmeric has been proven to be a great anti-inflammatory in people with diagnosed arthritis and carpal tunnel. The steady cracking of your finger definitely caused them to grow inflamed. Drinking small amounts of apple cider vinegar also help to promote blood flow throughout the body. Plus, it has similar cleansing effects to your body as a probiotic shot. Immediate relief can always be found in heated compresses and of course, if you feel anyone is willing to give you a hand massage.

After overloading on junk food, eating healthy during the holidays can be really difficult and may seem pointless. Our bodies need to recover from the intense amounts of sodium and fat. Incorporating more fresh fruits and vegetables with that gingerbread can be a part of that recover process. Sadly, our body cannot run solely on sugars that lack any nutritional value. But again liquids can greatly help this. And of course, there's always a New Year's resolution to look forward to.