The 9 Best Ways I've Found To Deal With Stress In My Life
Mental Health

Coping with life when it hits you a little too hard.

84

These are the best ways that I've come across in my life to relieve stress. Everyone needs to have some strategies to deal with stress in their lives because let's face it, we all get stressed out of our minds every once in a while.

Run! Run! Run! 

When all else has failed me in my life, there's one thing I've always turned to for answers. Running. I used to run track and cross country in high school, so I've always had an affinity for running. As I've grown older and stopped running for sport, it has become one of the biggest stress relievers in my life. There's nothing quite like taking all of the crap that life has thrown at you and laying it all out on the treadmill or track. With every stride, I release a little bit of anxiety. It's just you and your body, and the answers to questions you've been asking yourself become more and more clear with every breath. Running has always had this incredible ability to clear my head and gain some perspective on the stressful things in my life. So next time that you feel like you're drowning in stress, lace up your running shoes and run until everything feels a lot more manageable.

Retail Therapy 

Okay, you can't tell me that retail therapy isn't the best form of therapy available on this earth. Because it definitely is. Shopping, even just window shopping, is an incredible stress reliever. Letting the millions of stress filled thoughts in your head drift away as you sift through clothes, shoes, makeup... It's kind of magical. Sometimes even just buying yourself a little pick me up can help the stress, like a little treat yo'self.

Call My Mom 

There is no stress in this world that can't be fixed by one thing... Your mom. Whenever I am so overwhelmed and feel like I'm going to literally drown in my stress, I pick up my phone and call my mom. 10/10 times I always feel better. There's just something about moms... It's like they're always right about everything? Weird, I know. Not like they told us every single day growing up that they know best. But on a real note, our moms have so much more life experience than us, and sometimes just getting some perspective on a situation from your mom can solve anything.

Netflix Binge 

Are you still there? Yes, Netflix, I'm still here, I am dealing with an incredible amount of stress right now!! Netflix is one of the finest ways on earth to deal with stress. Got some problems you can't seem to deal with? Binge an entire season of Law and Order: SVU and you're golden! Zoning out on some Netflix and forgetting the real world is a great way to give yourself a brain break. Go ahead, spend an entire day laying in bed and watching your fav show, you deserve it.

Make A To Do List 

When I feel like I have about a million and one things to do and don't know where to start, the most useful thing I've learned to do is write it ALL down. Make a to-do list!!! I LOVE to do lists. They are probably the most useful thing to ever be invented. It's so calming to write out every single little thing that you need to accomplish, and absolutely so satisfying to start crossing items off of the list. Little by little, you start to eliminate your stress by finishing the very things fueling your stress.

Eat.. Maybe Eat A Little More 

I don't know about all of you, but I am a stress eater. Hangry takes on a new meaning with me. Hunger plus stress equals complete meltdown. In the midst of stress, it can be easy to forget to do simple things, like eat. I like to step back from whatever situation is stressing me out, take 30 minutes to eat, and then reevaluate, and probably continue snacking. Snacking is scientifically proven to make you more productive, right?

Turn Off The Phone

I love my phone. There, I said it. It's like an organ to me, I honest to God can't function without it. While my phone is my favorite thing ever, it can be a huge cause of stress. Whether that's social media or too many texts from friends and family, it can definitely get overwhelming. It helps to just turn it off. While it's hard to be disconnected from the rest of the world, it can be very stress relieving.

Take A Shower 

A great way to relieve stress is to literally wash it away. Take a shower! Even if you aren't dirty and don't need to shower, still do it. Showers are great places to think and try to rationalize whatever stressors that you're dealing with. The very best thoughts and solutions always come to me in the shower, and I'm fairly certain it's kind of a universal thing. So go ahead, hop in that shower and wash your stress down the drain!!

Cry It All Out 

Last but not least, this one is probably the most stress relieving one of them all. Crying it all out. Go ahead, lets the tears fall! Some people try and suppress their stress and avoid crying at all costs, but not me. Allowing yourself to feel every bit of anxiety and crying it all out is incredibly liberating. After finishing your cry session, pick yourself back up and go back to kicking butt and taking names!