What I Wish I Told my Friends More

What I Wish I Told my Friends More

And what I'll try to remember to more often.

7
What I Wish I Told my Friends More
Jordan McQueen

I appreciate you.

In fact, probably a lot more than you know. I know in our respective day-to-days we lose track of a lot of things. Time becomes a currency and it's flying out of our grasp. It's hard to always find time, but I'm glad that we do. I'm even more glad that we can find ways to spend our time wisely while still being in each other's company.

Now the people this is addressed to are scattered. We're not all in the same friend group. We don't all do the same thing on Friday nights. But, if you're reading this and you're a friend to me in any capacity: this is to you.

You may not know this- if we're extremely close you probably do- but I've had a lot of people come and it seems like even more go. Before I got to college I'd almost known what it was like to say 'goodbye' more than to say 'hello'. This taught me a lot of things, but above it all it taught me how valuable a person who is consistent in your life is.

Anytime life serves to be difficult you're always there. You may not be sitting directly at my feet with a box of tissues and calling the pizza man, granted that's been the case before, but you're always with me. I've found so much value from you asking how I am and keeping up in my life even if I'm scattered.

I'm absolutely awful at texting back. The notifications go away and the texts get lost under piles of life and the whirlwind that is college. But still you're there, texting me updates on your life and checking up on me. Getting a funny picture from you or just a a random text brightens my day and reinforces the fact that you are there.

Sitting in my room doing homework, going on a drive, random trips to Kroger, impromptu talks in random quiet spots on campus...all of these things weave together to become a blanket of security that I always carry with me. The security I feel is ultimately you all.

I have no idea how to show my gratitude. Words, love, and snacks couldn't ever do justice to the gratefulness I feel. So here's what I want to tell you, in appreciate, adoration, admiration, and any other positive adjective you can produce off the top of your head:

I love you beyond compare. I cherish you infinitely. I look up to you always. I'm honored to be just a fraction of your life. I want nothing but the best for you. I'll see to it that that's what you always get, and be there for you when it isn't.

I support you unconditionally in any endeavor that your heart desires to take on. When the world is your rain, I'll be your umbrella. When you're your own rain I'll gently and lovingly beat the crap out of you till you see you the way that I see you.

I'll be the safe for all your secrets and gossip. I'll be your safe haven when the world seems too big and you feel infinitely small. I'll be there for eating too much ice cream and regretting it (but not really, cause ice cream is so good). I'll be there to talk some sense into you when you've lost all rationale.

Ultimately, I'll be here for you. No matter what. You've shown me what a true friend is, and I'll be the same to you right back.

I love you always.