5 Things To Leave Behind In 2016

5 Things To Leave Behind In 2016

It's important to realize that you have to let go of your own internal negativity as well if you want a shot at real change this year.

58
5 Things To Leave Behind In 2016
Quotes Pics

1. Negativity.

Lately, I've seen people posting about getting rid of the "toxic" people in their lives in order to be surrounded by positivity in 2017. There's nothing wrong with letting go of people, but it's important to realize that you have to let go of your own internal negativity as well if you want a shot at real change this year.

2. Self-doubt.

Wouldn't you rather live a life of "Oh well" instead of "What if?" You're going to make mistakes no matter what this year, so you might as well make them while you're doing things that are out of your comfort zone. Go on that blind date, dye your hair that crazy color, get that tattoo on your forehead (okay maybe make that a temporary one). Make 2017 your Nike year: Just do it.

3. Procrastination.

I would be the biggest hypocrite in the world if I started preaching about not putting tasks off until the last minute, but I'm going to do it anyway in case someone other than me reads this. Novelist Morgan Matson once wrote, "A thousand moments I had taken for granted--mostly because I had assumed there would be a thousand more." Procrastination doesn't just apply to essays or group projects. We wait to apologize, to express love, to feel grief--we put these things off because they're too difficult or just too damn scary to deal with in the moment. But do you know what's scarier? Waiting too long and having time run out because you assumed you'd have more of it. Don't let that happen to you, do all that you can with the time that you have.

4. Anger.

I'm not saying that you can't get angry in 2017. The anger that should be left behind is anger from the past. It doesn't burn calories to keep holding that grudge from 2011. If you truly can't forgive past transgressions, the best next thing is to take advice from Frozen and just "let it go." Getting rid of that anger only leaves more room for joy and new experiences. It's up to you to decide which would you rather have.

5. Envy.

This is a tough one because we are constantly presented with opportunities to compare ourselves to others. If you check Snapchat, people are having more fun than you are. If you scroll through Instagram, someone else's photo has more likes than yours does. In reality, people don't usually post a snapchat when their world is falling apart. They don't post a photo on Instagram when they get fired from the job that was paying their rent. "We compare our behind-the-scenes with everyone else's highlight reel," and that's just not realistic. If we all walked around with our insecurities and problems written on our faces, there would be no envy left in the world. But, since I don't plan on getting "failed Algebra 2" or "my dad passed away" tattooed on my forehead, let's go with Plan B. Instead of wishing you looked like or lived like someone else, choose your own failures, choose your own successes. Choose yourself.

For each ounce of negativity, self-doubt, procrastination, anger, and envy that you leave behind in 2016, you're opening yourself up to positivity, confidence, productivity, happiness, and contentment. 2017 looks better already.