What Team Sports Have Taught Me

What Team Sports Have Taught Me

Life-Long Lessons

78
What Team Sports Have Taught Me

I have been involved with team sports since preschool. I played soccer, softball, volleyball, basketball, and lacrosse at some point between preschool and college. I learned what it meant to be on a team very early in my childhood. Those lessons stayed with me through grade school, high school, and now college. I use them in my every day life and on my different sport teams.

I realized you could not carry the weight of the team by yourself and you most certainly could not win or lose a game by yourself. You may have the winning run, basket or goal, but it does not mean you won the whole game yourself. Your team was there to back you up and help with the winning throughout the entire game, not just that final goal.

Not only do you have to be a good team player on the field or court, you had to be one off. You had to be friends with the people on your team. You were there to listen to what is happening in their life or to give advice for problems. Bonding with your team helps with the chemistry on the field or court. Through high school, my lacrosse team would have team bonding in order for us to get to know each other better and just take a break from stress and have fun. You become more comfortable spending a lot of time with your teammates and automatically have more friends. Keeping each other sane during the season created unbreakable bonds and friendships.

Team sports has also taught me sharing and caring. Seems silly, but sharing a water bottle with someone who forgot their's shows how you care for the other person. If someone needed a ride home, a teammate would always be willing to drive them. Being a team means you cannot be selfish and you must be willing to help your teammates out like they would do for you. It strengthens friendships as well.

It is okay to allow someone to help you on something. It might turn out better than it would have when working solo. A perfect play in a game would not be possible if it was just you out there. Having someone point out what you are doing wrong may seem annoying, but it is something to accept and it will definitely improve your performance. Accepting help is another sign of a team player, something important when looking for a job. Many companies look for people who know how to work in an environment with many people. I use my experience as a team member during group projects and my summer job. Hopefully, those skills will improve and be polished for the future in a professional setting.

I am very happy to be involved with team sports. I have been indirectly taught teamwork and kindness. I had fun learning and improving through athletics while also creating life-long friends. I hope this inspires you to take on a team sport or make you realize how great it is to be part of a team.