What Sports Has Taught Us

What Sports Has Taught Us

Sports are not just a game, they can teach us life lessons

18
What Sports Has Taught Us
Thunderstorm Sports Blog

We Can't Always Get What We Want

Over my 18 years of existence, I have cried more over sports than a breakup or a loss of a loved one. Is so terrible? Perhaps. But, in a weird, and sufficient way, it has taught me that life is not all about me, or in this case, all about the New England Patriots and the Boston Red Sox.

Do Not Ever Give Up, Ever

This one is wicked important (yes I say wicked, I'm a Boston fan, what do you expect). Throughout history, we have seen teams that will have the worst year in franchise history, just to get a few good draft picks and steadily improve until they are a playoff team and even sometimes a world champion. This has taught me that failure, ultimately can lead to success. I look at the Chicago Cubs, a team that before 2016 had not won a World Series in 108 years... Yeah, you read that right. For 108 years, that franchise and generations of players played for a cause, and though it took 108 years, they accomplished their goal.

Go Big Or Go Home

This one should go without saying. Whether it is playing a sport or being in school, always give 100%. You have one chance in life; there are no do-overs in real life, so go into everything with a full head of steam and do not stop until you are beyond satisfied. Is this supposed to be a motivational speech? No. But, by watching players like Danny Amendola, a Patriots wide receiver, who has been scrutinized his entire career and still gives 110%, he shows true grit, and that is something we can all take away.

No Dream Is Too Small

Kurt Warner was bagging groceries in before being cut by the Green Bay Packers in 1994. Warner moved on to play in the Arena Football League, where he began to grow and then stepped up to more talented competition in NFL Europe. It was there that Warner caught the eye of NFL scouts and finally landed a job with the St. Louis Rams. Warner would go on to lead the Rams to the Super Bowl in 2000 where he also won Super Bowl MVP. He would also become a four-time Pro-Bowler and a two-time First-Team All-Pro. So, next time someone tells you that your dream is unrealistic, tell them about Kurt Warner.

It Is Okay To Cry

Yes, you can cry. Men do, in fact, cry. We are all humans, and humans have emotions. I know this all sounds elementary, but it is something that is not mentioned enough. Athletes are on the road and away from their families for more than half of the year, that is a lot. So, if a national anthem touches a player, or a touchdown means more than it should, we should stop mocking them for crying. This game truly takes a toll on the players, let them be emotional if needed.

Block Out The Noise

Got excused of something you did not do? Everywhere you go, people call you names? Do people spread rumors about you? Do not give in, find a way to break them. Look at what Tom Brady has done this year after being accused of knowing about 'deflategate.' Do not, for any circumstance, listen or care about the negative things other have to say about you. Instead, prove them wrong.

Have Fun

Just have fun. You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough!