What I Learned Outside Of The Classroom

What I Learned Outside Of The Classroom

Not all lessons come from a classroom.

18
What I Learned Outside Of The Classroom
Firefly Daily

Learning is hardly exclusive to the classroom. Don’t get me wrong, I have learned a lot from my professors over the years, a lot of technical learning in regards to my career field. But there is so much more that cannot be learned in the classroom.

First and foremost, you begin to learn a lot about yourself. You learn who you are as a person – your likes and dislikes, what makes you happy and what doesn’t. And honestly, those are more important than anything, I believe. Personally, I have been studying abroad for about three and half months now and I have learned more about myself these past few months than I have sitting in a study classroom. Being in a totally new and different environment has put me in the best position possible to learn everything the world has to offer, and trust me, there is a lot.

I have learned that it is alright to be selfish sometimes and put yourself first. Nothing really matters unless you are happy. It is definitely hard to realize that you are unhappy and that you must make a big change in order to fix that. But the change is good, because, in the end, it all pays off. And learning to put yourself first, is something no professor can teach you.

I have also learned the value of friendship. Good friends do not come around that often, and when they do, you should not let them go. Make sure you surround yourself with people who like you for you. People you can relate to and laugh about the stupidest little things for hours, because honestly, surrounding yourself with good company could not make you happier. Being around a great group of friends brings out all the positivity in you and will teach you it is ok to be yourself. If you are stuck in a friendship or even a relationship that is not working out, do not be afraid to let that go because, honestly, you are just wasting your time. It is okay to let people go, if they don’t better you and you don’t better them, you are better off without them.

Learning in a classroom definitely has its advantages, because where can you end up these days without a college degree? Going to school is very important. But there are times where you will find yourself learning a lot more outside of the classroom, which is truly a blessing. Because there is so much that school just simply cannot teach you. Things about yourself, friendships, and the world around you. It is probably not what most parents and professors want to hear but you will definitely gain more practical knowledge outside the classroom rather than in the classroom.