Why You Should Absolutely Have A Micro-Wedding

Brides, Skip The Pricey Shit And Have Yourself A Micro-Wedding

Make memories that'll last you longer than just one day.

270

It's not a secret that wedding costs have spiraled out of control. The average wedding in the United States now cost is over $25,000, with higher averages in major metropolitan cities. Coupled with student loan debt and ever increasingly expensive housing marketing, and the thought of spending more than a few thousand dollars is almost laughable. So why do we do it?

Brides, skip the pricey shit, and have yourself a micro-wedding.

I don't think people understand how easy it would be to have a micro-wedding. Sure if you're into all eyes on you (even if it's eyes that haven't seen you since you were 4-years-old) by all means, go for the big wedding.

However, if you actually don't care about anything else, other than a few close friends/family and your soon to be Mr., then why not find the cheapest route you can, and spend the money on something that will last you longer than just one day?

Micro-weddings are essentially a small get together with a handful of guests (often no more than 20). Yes, the majority of us know and deeply care for more than just 20 people. I myself have more than 20 cousins, so some may think, "how would that even work?"

The thing is, that's why micro-weddings are the shit. Invite both of your best friends, immediate family, and grandparents and you have yourself a micro-wedding.

Here is what you get when you take the beautiful journey of micro weddings:

1. People watching you say "I Do" who actually give a flying frog's ass

2. Yes, a smaller amount of gifts/money, but not a ridiculous $40,000 debt to tack on to any possible college debt

3. Less flashing cameras in your face when you're trying to confess your love to the one you love

4. Less mess to clean up afterward, and more money to put towards a honeymoon

5. A sacred moment that you can genuinely say only the people you deeply care about was able to witness.

The truth is, you'll probably have to cut some people out that you would prefer to be there on your big day, but in the long run those people will understand that what you did was SUPER small. No one can argue with the fact that you wanted only family to be there. In fact, a lot of people will probably respect you for doing something that they wish they could've.

A lot of people today spend so much money just to look better than other people—weddings included. As long as we have the BIGGEST wedding, with the NICEST venue, and the HOTTEST decorations than we're set?

You can still have cute decorations, beautiful scenery, and a small wedding to make it one to remember. How much would it actually cost to get married in a backyard, with some hanging lights, old vintage chairs, and a select group of people witnessing your love? The answer is: not as much as you'd spend with 200+ guests, a $70,000 venue including drinks, food, and linens, and the time it would take to make all your own centerpieces/decorations or hire on a wedding planner.

Our generation is known as innovators. We are trendsetters, so why would we not want to start this? Chances are, your future husband could care less about having a big wedding, but would still like to celebrate it in some way. Suggest a micro-wedding and I can almost guarantee this is the preferred route he'd take.

Instead of only staying five nights and six days on a cruise for your honeymoon, stay 2-3 weeks at a location you never would've dreamed you'd get to visit. Make memories that'll last you longer than just one day.

Your wallet and your husband will thank you for it.

There are some people who have wanted a big wedding since they first came to the understanding of what a wedding actually was. And that's okay too.

But, if you are one of the many who feels like they need to have a big wedding to invite all the people that please their parents, friends, or extended family, please say SCREW IT with me and have yourself a micro-wedding.

After all, it is YOUR wedding.