Depression Is...

Depression isn't cute, it isn't romantic and it isn't something I'd ever wish upon anyone. Depression forces you to see sides of yourself you never thought existed, it will make you question your importance and negotiate your worth within your own mind.

Depression is waking up at 1 am and crying because you remember how insignificant you are, it's falling asleep at 2, then waking up at 4 and reaching over in search of the hand of your lover - only to realize they left you last week because you're too "unstable"

Depression is heavy, it makes you feel like your body is 3,000 pounds every time you try to get out of bed. Some days getting up is too big a task, some days you can't force yourself to be alive - the most you can do is lay there and feel bad for yourself.

Depression is a bully, it's the voice in the back of your mind telling you - nobody would miss you if you were gone. Depression is a room full of mean girl, hurling insults at you all day every day but unlike the movies, you can't run away from them. They follow you everywhere.

Depression is a pair of sunglasses, making it impossible for you to see the sun - with it, every day seems gray. No matter how nice the day is, no matter how many loved ones you're surrounded by, no matter how many times you remind yourself you'll be alright, your life will look dark and gloomy.

Depression is constant fear, the fear of embarrassment, the fear of rejection, depression is the uncontrollable, irrational fear of living.

Depression is mean, it will make you say things to yourself that would seem too mean to say to your worst enemy. Depression will keep you away from the mirror, it will tell you that your favorite sweater makes you look fat, it will magnify your flaws and minimize your best features.

Depression is ugly, and it will make you believe it defines you. Lets get one thing straight, depression is a mental illness, it will trick your mind and your body into thinking you are dying. Depression can be fatal if it's ignored, but depression will never define you.

Depression is a home wrecker, breaking up every healthy friendship and relationship it encounters because lets face it - according to depression, you don't deserve to be happy.

Depression is stress, it is studying for a test hours on end, sitting down to take it and realizing you can barely remember your name. Depression affects your concentration, anytime you sit down to focus, to read or to sleep your mind will begin racing. Your mind will begin to overthink and your body will feel like it is about to shut down.

Depression is perfectionism, making you think nothing you do is good enough. Depression will make you compare yourself to everyone around you, it will make you hate everything about yourself, from the way you look to the way you sound, depression will make you emotional and sensitive.

Depression is real, it is serious and it isn't your fault. Talking about your depression is scary, saying you have depression is scary, but I promise you that living in silence is the most frightening of them all. Depression will make you think things you've never thought, it will make you say things you've never said, depression will make you feel like you are alone.

YOU. ARE. NOT. ALONE

Hotlines. If you are experiencing a medical emergency, are in danger, or are feeling suicidal, call 911 immediately. Suicide Hotline: 800-784-2433. Immediate Medical Assistance: 911. Crisis Call Center: 800-273-8255 or text ANSWER to 839863.