what are people from Colombia like

What Is Colombia?

Everyone should know there's more to Colombia than the show Narcos.

73
What Is Colombia?

When you tell someone you're Colombian the first thing they mention is cocaine and Pablo Escobar. It's a joke that is and was never amusing, and something that does not represent Colombia in its entirely. On July 3rd my team, La Seleccion Colombiana, played against the Three Lions, England. It was a rough game and everyone had different opinions upon it, however even after England won their fans were still nasty online.

Numerous Colombian fans received direct messages and tweets regarding cocaine, saying things such as "what the fuck you saying now you cocaine sniffing bastard" or "I see the Coke heads crying your mentions." One tweet called the players "monkeys" for "attacking the England players." They attack Colombians about cocaine while England is #4 on the list of countries with the highest cocaine consumption. But that is looked away and not discussed as much as Colombia and cocaine.

As someone who is Colombian, you get tired of being known for cocaine. Cocaine does not represent Colombia. There are many treasures and beautiful features Colombia holds but are overlooked by drugs. Below are few of the many beauties Colombia has.

1. Coffee

Coffee from Cafe Matto in Salento, Quindio

With its high altitudes and tropical temperatures Colombia has some of the best tasting coffee in the world.

2. Barranquilla's Carnival

@tripivent on Instagram

This carnival is the biggest one in the world in which it lasts for four days. The streets of Barranquilla are filled with vibrant colors, floats, costumes, and cumbia. The carnival is a mix of European, African and indigenous traditions, rooted in music and dancing.

3. Festival of Flowers

upload.wikimedia.org

The Flowers Festival takes place yearly in Medellin, Colombia. It was first done in the month of May but later changed to August to celebrate the independence of Antioquia and Battle of Boyacá. It is an important for silleteros, flower vendors, because it is when the flowers they have grown are most appreciated.

4. Gabriel Garcia Marquez

c1.staticflickr.com

Not only is he my favorite author but he is one of the best. He is known for the use of magical realism in his works. He is well known for his best seller One Hundred Years of Solitude. In 1982 he won the Nobel Prize in Literature, and many other awards. He has left a legacy world wide and someone Colombia is proud to have.

5. Shakira

Who does not love Shakira? She is an icon and queen of World Cup songs. Shakira is from Barranquilla, Colombia and has always shown pride to our beautiful country.

6. Vallenatos

Vallenatos come the Carribbean Coast of Colombia, and the word Vallenato means " born in the valley." The music oringates from farmers who would travel the region with their cattle to sell. Vallenatos are like story telling and they farmers blended the traditions of Spanish minstrels (a Medieval European entertainer) and West African griots (storyteller/musician). People who listen to vallenatos do not dance to it, but sing along to it with a drink in their hand.

7. Cumbia

Cumbia is a type of music that also comes from the Caribbean Coast of Colombia. It is a mix from sounds of indigenous, African, and European instruments and rhythms. It was originally frowned upon by the upper class as it was mainly listened by the working class. It is now listened throughout all of Colombia.

8. Seleccion Colombia

Los Cafeteros, Nuestra Seleccion Colombiana, is our pride and joy of the country. They have previously been in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil and in this years 2018 World Cup in Russia. Although they did not make the final every goal they make brings happiness to our heart. They are a beauty to Colombia.

9. La Feria de Cali

upload.wikimedia.org

La Feria de Cali, Cali's Fair, is an annual fair in Cali celebrated from December 25th to 30th. It shows the culture and diversity of the region with salsa, horseback riding, and bull fighting. The fair has been a tradition since its start in 1957.

10. El Quindio

upload.wikimedia.org

El Quindio is a department in Colombia in which where I am. The best coffee of Colombia is found here because the richest soil is here. There are many beautiful cities such as Armenia, which is nicknamed Miracle City, and the sleepy town of Salento where is most tourists go.

11. AREPAS

upload.wikimedia.org

Arepas are a part of every Colombian's diet and I could possibly eat 100 a day. The types of arepas vary, some are made with white corn flour, yellow corn flour (these are sweet), and cheese. Every arepa always has cheese on top but can be eaten alone or accompanied with a dish. They keep the world going and are beautifully made and shaped like a circle because they're all around great (hehe).

12. Aguardiente

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:AguardienteFla.jpg

Aguardiente is a popular alcoholic beverage of Colombia. It is an anise-flavored liquor derived from sugar cane. The types of aguardiente vary between different regions but Antioqueño is one of the most popular ones. It is drunk neat usually and not mixed with anything else.