What Dance Marathon Means To Me

What Dance Marathon Means To Me

60
What Dance Marathon Means To Me
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/02/24/636551056218451262164655737_27748155_1731692590257412_5585600441770664102_o.jpg

It's finally here. The last hour; hour 6 of Dance Marathon. Everyone's feet are hurting, bodies are sweating, and we're seconds away from revealing the total amount of money we've been trying to raise for the last 10 months.

One at a time, as each number reaches the air, the crowd is chanting, "FTK, FTK, FTK, FTK, FTK, FTK."

Everybody is anxious to see what the final total is going to be.

$38,008.77.

We did it. We reached our goal for the kids.

One day out of the year, we spend a whole day on our feet, dancing, and raising money for the kids. But, who are the kids? It's all for the kids at Riley Children's Hospital in downtown Indianapolis.

Riley Children's Hospital treats children with cancer and provides them with the medical care they need. The doctors, nurses and staff at Riley Hospital work every second of everyday to research and provide the care these children need in order to get better and reach a cure.

By having Dance Marathon, multiple schools in Indiana help raise money for this cause. There are DM's that are 36 hours, others 17 hours, and some only 6, but no matter the amount of hours, we are all doing the same thing; to find a cure and help the kids at Riley receive the care they need for them to get better and go on to have a normal life.

The day of DM is filled with games, snacks, dancing, and hearing stories of first- hand experience from the children at Riley with their families by their side.

I've been a part of Dance Marathon for 2 years so far, and each year I only get more passionate. The reason why it's so important to me is because we get to help these kids who have cancer and possibly be the reason why they beat it.

The children at Riley have taught me that no matter what situation I'm going through in life, I can get through it. Some of these kids haven't experienced a life without being at Riley, and the fact that they can sit there with a smile on their face is amazing. I'm inspired by these children, and I know that whatever life throws at me, I can not only get through it, but I can get through it with a smile.

Nobody realizes how precious life us until it gets take from us. This is a way for my to learn how to help other people and realize that their are much bigger issues in the world.

By being a part of Dance Marathon, I can help be the solution. I can help save lives. I can help find a cure. I can only hope that everyone can experience how rewarding it is knowing that you are a solution. No matter what, it's always For The Kids.