We're Connected - Ubuntu

We're Connected - Ubuntu

We must focus on what bring us together.
203

Last week I wrote about Making Empathy Great Again to start a conversation about how we all could be a bit more understanding and compassionate to those we come in contact with. This week I think it would be good for us to consider the ways in which we are different, yet all connected.

A word I was introduced to a few years back is Ubuntu it comes from the South African language known as Zulu and has been introduced to many by Bishop Desmond Tutu. The meaning of Ubuntu is often translated as the universal bond which connects all of humanity to one another, at its most basic definition it means “I am because we are”, the notion that we are universally connected and that we what connects us is much greater than what divides us.

I think about all of the things that I have found in common with others that have created friendships and realize the many things that we don’t have in common as well. I have plenty of friends that I don’t agree with on many topics but we have always been able to find commonality in some form and when we have conversations about those things that divide us we have been able to respectfully listen and disagree, which is becoming a foreign concept, so allow me to give us all permission to have friendships with those who don’t agree with us and also see the humanity in those who are different from us.

Now, back Ubuntu and what it means for us in a social climate that suggests we are not connected. We are connected through friendships, hobbies, book groups, causes that we care about, and our moral compasses that suggest we do good and treat others with respect. One place that I have found a common ground and place that reminds me how I am connected to all is the communion table in my church it reminds me that which unites us is much greater than that which divides us!