Whether Or Not Your State Is Reopening, Please Keep Wearing A Mask If You Leave Your House
News

You can spread COVID-19 without knowing it, especially if you're not wearing a mask, negatively affecting the elderly and those with underlying health conditions.

102

We have all been told for months now that people who become infected with COVID-19 will start to show symptoms approximately two weeks after contracting the virus or may not even show symptoms at all - and those who don't show symptoms are still able to spread the virus to those who will show symptoms due to an underlying health condition. This is the very reason as to why you still need to wear a mask when you go out of the house. You can still unknowingly spread the virus to those around you, and those people will then take it home to their elderly parents or family members with underlying health conditions. Although the U.S. is beginning to re-open, COVID-19 still remains a threat. Therefore, you still need to wear a mask when you're out in public.

There are protesters overcrowding the streets of America who are not wearing masks and are not abiding by the minimum six-feet social distancing measures. There are also people overcrowding the beaches who are not wearing masks nor staying six-feet apart.

This is complete chaos!

These people could be asymptomatic or be in their two week incubation period while protesting out on the streets or relaxing and having fun on the beach - possibly spreading COVID-19 to the people next to them without even knowing it. Hospitals are already overwhelmed with the number of COVID-19 patients, but if these protesters and people at the beach were to cause an outbreak, then the hospitals would not be able to handle the additional patients that the outbreaks would cause on top of their current overwhelming situation.

So, if you're going out of your house, please wear a mask to prevent the spread of the virus so the hospitals will not have to go through an even tougher time than what they're currently going through.

I understand that you want the country to be re-opened, but at least do your part in helping to prevent further spread of this virus. Or maybe your mentality of it all is "I don't care if I get coronavirus. If I get it, I get it. It isn't going to stop me from partying or going about my normal day." If that's your perspective, please realize that you will end up infecting those who do care about their health (like the elderly and those with underlying health conditions, like myself).

I have not left my house since my classes shifted online. Yet, I am terrified every time my parents come home from a trip to the grocery store, running an errand, or when my dad comes back from work.

No matter how many times I wash my hands or how long I stay in my house to protect myself from getting COIVD-19, there will always be the possibility of my parents passing the virus to me - and that's what scares me.

I'm not saying they're irresponsible when they're out of the house by not wearing a mask. They are responsible, and they do wear masks. However, the groceries that they bring home could be contaminated from someone who is asymptomatic or is in their two week incubation period who didn't wear a mask when they went out in public. Thus, spreading it to me if I touch those groceries. My parents recently came back from grocery shopping, and while my mom was putting things into our pantry, she said she accidentally touched my vitamin container. Since then, and for the next three days, I stopped taking my vitamins. I didn't even clean the container because of the risk of it possibly having COVID-19 particles on it. You can call it overreacting, but this is how I protect myself. Staying home does not provide enough protection for me. I'm sure the elderly and other people with underlying health conditions who stay at home relate to this. No matter how hard we try, how often we wash our hands, or how long we stay in our house, we are not fully protected from getting COVID-19. Therefore, I kindly ask you to act responsibly by wearing a mask whenever you leave your house to prevent further spread of COVID-19 from the elderly and those with underlying health conditions. There is only so much that we can do for ourselves, yet it is not enough.