We ALL Deserve Acceptance

We ALL Deserve Acceptance

My stance on the way "society" is telling people to be.

9
We ALL Deserve Acceptance
Taytum Pearce

Growing up, I was never allowed to shave my legs. I asked and asked for years, and the answer was still 'no.' In the 7th grade, other girls and even some boys started to make fun of me for having such long leg hair. I became so self-conscious that I stopped wearing shorts, and when I'd go to my grandparent's, I'd sneak around and shave them when no one was looking. I always got caught, and I always got in trouble. Looking back I realize it was because my mother didn't want me to grow up, but at the time I was humiliated.

Now that I've grown up, I like to think of that as a powerful life lesson: We need to stop teaching hate and start teaching acceptance.

I honestly haven't shaved my legs in almost a year, and I don't care. Now, I don't believe that you shouldn't shave JUST to make a political statement. I'm not trying to say you shouldn't shave, because if that's what you want to do then do it. What I am saying is: do what makes you happy! People, and especially young girls, are pressured into changing some aspect of themselves in order to comply with the basic ideas of beauty. If you don't believe that this is happening, take a quick scroll through your Facebook or Instagram feed. Girls and boys are so openly insecure about themselves that it's quite devastating. They're told from a young age that you have to look like this to be beautiful. You have to be this weight to be happy. You're gross and unclean if you don't shave your legs, and I think it's ridiculous.

If you want to shave, shave. If not, don't. If you want to wear makeup, work it. If not, that's completely okay! If you want to lose weight, lose weight for you! If you're happy with your body the way it is, then don't worry about what others may think! As a human, it is your responsibility to make yourself a better, happier person. And if that means you don't shave or wear makeup, then that's great! As long as you're working to make yourself happier, then who honestly cares what 'society' thinks?

Let's make this the era of self-acceptance and overall happiness.