How Can We Define Politics?
Politics

How Can We Define Politics?

What is the definition of "politics"?

25
How Can We Define Politics?
Lena Stojiljkovic

As defined by the Oxford Dictionary, politics is:

The activities associated with the governance of a country or area, especially the debate between parties having power.

When I hear the word "politics", I actually generally prefer not to hear the word (so hearing it rarely happens since I do a good job at avoiding it) but when I do hear the word "politics", I exercise my human instinct to avoid conflict and I dismiss the conversation by exiting the situation in the fastest and most innocuous way possible.

Why do I do this? Well, most people don't really know what "politics" truly entails and before I just copy and pasted this definition, I myself did not truly know either. So why get involved in an important conversation many people are imprudently creating?

In regards to "politics"—a word I've had arise in many conversations because of the 2016 election—my reaction is to run away...

...sometimes literally...

...because I do not want to start a conversationthat usually ends in a pointless and stressful argument about a topic neither person nor party may truly understand.

Not anymore, though...

To be honest, I had only heard of and focused on Elizabeth Warren's existence twice before I met her: Once in passing through Hillary Clinton's 2016 presidential campaign and once again through a phone call on Tuesday, October 4th, 2016.

Outside of these two occurrences, I truthfully did not know Elizabeth Warren existed.

At all.

Just like how I do not know what exists outside of my perception and knowledge, Elizabeth Warren did not exist in my life.

What a shame.

"Past all shame, so past all truth"

William Shakespeare

For those who are interested: the phone call was a reminder to see Bernie Sanders speak the following day in Madison, Wisconsin. I already knew this and was planning to attend but what I didn't know was where, so that phone call actually helped me.

Honestly, if that person who called me had not informed me where Bernie was speaking and about Elizabeth's event, then I would have never known otherwise.

How silly, right?

How could I have not heard about people, politics, and simple facts of which are all posted on the Internet?

As a Millennial in college, I do not watch or read the news in my spare time.

I actually don't have that much spare time at all.

As a young person in America, I am way too busy worrying about my schoolwork instead of focusing on the critical fate of our nation at hand.

What an amazing paradox...
...and stands true for many Millennials in America.

While I could be learning about the politicians that are informing us on the importance of a quality education, the quality education they are mentioning is coincidentally (or in other words, occurring at the same time) exercising its importance and teaching me about life around me: which is ironically and consequently stoppingme from learning about these politicians while concurrently stopping me from learning about the importance of my education and the importance of real-time politics.

This is a paradox because both are equally as good for me yet both are stopping each other by simply existing at the same time:

Focusing on a quality education vs. focusing on politics in and about the world.
(I honestly should be focusing on schoolwork as I write this)

Something you should know about me: I didn't know the true definition of Capitalismuntil my first month at college.

This is quite strange.

I went to a really good high school. I was first introduced to the word sometime in high school (shoutout to York Community High School in Elmhurst, Illinois) but I just never really understood it. So naturally, as the care-free teenager I was back then, I didn't think it was a big deal. The worth of knowing "what is capitalism" is only worth a point on a test which will only affect my personal grade, right?

Oh man.

This is wrong.

100%

I first truly learned about Capitalism from its founding father, Adam Smith, in my History 120 class—here at The University of Wisconsin-Madison.

According to him, those nations with the "highest profits" are "fastest to ruin".

The very foundation of capitalism, as depicted by Adam Smith, is shown to fail if money is greatest—or in Adam Smith's words: in "highest profit".

America is a failed capitalist nation BECAUSE it is controlled by economy, which is coincidentally and unfortunately controlled primarily by .1% of the American people: a.k.a. the businessmen.

Bernie Sanders wasn't spitting rhymes for nothing.
He is right: America is controlled by the top .1%—the businessmen.

But only because we identify as a Capitalist nation.

Why are 99.9% of Americans not controlling American economy?

Basically what this question is highlighting: you are not in the top .1% if you do not own a business that lies in the top .1% of American profits AND/OR you are not a capitalist/businessman politician running for government; you truly do not have a say in modern American government as the average American—no matter how much you vote.

If America continues to be capitalist AND run by evil businessmen focusing ALL political campaign strategy on the sustainment of "money", America's government will be "fastest to ruin".

Money doesn't rule the world because it's sociologically, statistically, and scientifically proven to not buy happiness.

What's the point of living if we are not happy?

What's the point of living in America if our American government only supports money?

What's the point of living if we cannot love one another in peace?

All of these questions ask the same underlying question—whether it seems true or not.

I have gained bucket loads of precious knowledge about the importance of happiness in my daily life around me, world ideology, and modern politics through: learning at my university; traveling the world; attending Elizabeth's political rally in Madison, Wisconsin on October 7th, 2016—as well as by attending Bernie's political rally on October 5th, 2016—, the truth in life around me establishes a greater and truthfully profound meaning of which I had never fathomed before.

All I have to say in addition to that is:

Thank you, Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, and Russ Feingold, for being the few of the greatest teachers I could've ever had as an American citizen with my power to vote.

Elizabeth taught me Russ Feingold was the first person to oppose the Iraq War.

Bernie taught me America is controlled by the top .1% of the American people.

Russ taught me voting for Hillary Clinton is a good idea (in addition to and in agreement with Elizabeth and Bernie).

This is really all I needed to hear in order to know Hillary Clinton is not evil anymore.

Yes: Hillary stood by her husband in his evil decision to bomb my home nation, Serbia, in 1999, but I guess all I have to say to that is: international political propaganda led her and her husband to support that bombing.

Yes: I am a Serbian citizen. This is something which is not easily attainable as an American born citizen: fact.

Yes: I am upset my home nation had to be bombed for three months straight.

Yes: I am still voting for Hillary Clinton, despite these truths, because trustworthy politicians like Elizabeth Warren, Bernie Sanders, and Russ Feingold support her.

I am a perfectly legal and natural "citizen" of two nations and I have coincidentally seen how dangerous this world truly is. Here are the few murderous places I've experienced first-hand (including but not limited to):

The South Side of Chicago, Rome, Italy, and Jamaica are all dangerous places.

These places lose lives to human disaster (murder) and natural disaster (i.e. hurricanes).

If you lose your life (or biologically exalt death), there's no meaning in living your life anymore; Since your self-perceived life is officially nonexistent when you die, then you cannot autonomously and authoritatively put it to meaning; When your mind's perception no longer exists, this means "death" to your human mind.

You only live once on this planet we call Earth.

At least in your human body, if reincarnation does not exist.

So in all of our lifetimes, as 21st century human beings, politics is important to understand because we should all know and believe what it means to us as every day living creatures.

My advice for American voters: vote for Hillary Clinton because she is not a businessman AND is supported by trustworthy politicians.

My two cents for anyone inside AND outside of the American voter demographic:

America is suffering because of our failed capitalist efforts.

Capitalism works 100% of the time if and when politics and economics are TRULY separate (I learned that fact through Adam Smith's writings in my History 120 class)—in which applies to America's case because our government is primarily controlled by businessmen—and modern American government and politics unfortunately intervenes with economics because businessmen are controlling our government.

If we elect a businessman that only worries about money for his/her own personal expenses and for the highest profits in his/her own personal business, then this will consequently end American government at his/her own expense because we unluckily depend on Capitalism as a nation.

Capitalism is helping us, but it is also ruining us.

So let's become nationalistic and democratic: let's make a living in a government controlled by the people and for the people, and not only .1% of the people.

America is primarily and detrimentally controlled by .1% of the American people because we are a product of failed Capitalism.

So let's vote for politicians that are in favor of our happiness: and the closest thing we (as human beings) have invented to a utopian government is democracy—especially democracy in nationalism.

First: we are inhabitants of Planet Earth!
After: we are citizens of our home nations!
Final: with nationalism focused at the national level and at the universal level, we will save Planet Earth from human conflict and start focusing on world peace!

VOTE FOR HILLARY CLINTON

Sources of knowledge:
Bernie Sanders (reference Madison, Wisconsin radio rally from October 5th 2016),
Elizabeth Warren (reference Madison, Wisconsin rally October 7th),
Russ Feingold (reference Madison, Wisconsin rally October 7th),
Adam Smith (reference "The Wealth of Nations"),
and myself (reference Facebook and send me a message if you have a question about anything!)

Oh and the online Oxford Dictionary.

(Side note: please ignore the grammar mistake found in one of the pictures)

Special thanks to my good friend for helping me (one way or another) with the syntax of this article.

Have a nice day!